Calm before the storm

It was a quiet few weeks in Devildom. Life was going on, as usual, filled with little dramas, social scandals, and unexpected disasters caused mainly by Mammon's stunts. There was not much news about the demons' rebellion. It seemed all the disturbances were still happening away from Devildom.

"It's so exciting!" squealed redhaired student helping Lhori put up the poster on the wall. "I didn't know they have festivals here in Devildome too!"

"Of course, they have, Suzie," replied Lhori with a small smile handing girl a tape. "Life here, at RAD looks mostly the same as at any uni in the human world."

"Except, we are learning things like enchantments, curses and so on," the girl laughed. "But I think you're right. Sometimes I forgot that my friends are demons or angels."

"And that's the point. We are all not so different from each other."

When the poster was hanged permanently on the wall, Suzie looked at Lhori and wanted to say something, but bit her lip and looked away.

"What is it? You wanted to say something?"

"Well, I did," her face turned as red as her hair. "I've heard... I mean... students are talking... that you and Lucifer are a thing..."

Lhori snorted with laughter. "Really? A thing? Is that what's students gossip about nowadays?" She would have thought that girl's face couldn't get any redder, but it did.

"I'm sorry, Miss Lhori, I know it's none of my business..."

"It's ok, Suzie. Yes, we are a thing. What about it?"

"Oh!" she said excitedly. "I mean, I knew it already anyway. So, how is it with dating a demon? Are there any differences then dating regular boys? Any special quirks a girl should know about?"

Lhori laughed again. "No, it's pretty much the same as with regular human boys. There might be some weird outbursts of magic or something, but nothing you should worry about. Do you have someone in mind?"

"Well, there is this demon in my class... He asked me out yesterday, but I wasn't sure..."

"Do you like him?" Lhori interrupted her.

"Oh, yes, he is adorable. And he always smiles when he talks to me. And he is hot too. Well, not nowhere near Lucifer, but his hotness is on another level..." Lhori burst out laughing. "Why are you laughing, Miss Lhori? You are incredibly lucky! You know, there was a poll among female students about who is the hottest demon in RAD, and I think Lucifer only lost to Lord Diavolo himself..." Suddenly her face turned pale when her eye wandered over Lhori's shoulder. "Oh, I've got to run, Miss Lhori. I'll be late for my classes!" she added quickly and ran away.

Lhori sighed and wasn't surprised when she felt a hand on her shoulder and low whisper in her ear.

"I've heard I'm the hottest demon in Devildom, again. You should count your blessings, love."

She snorted and turned around to look at Lucifer's smug face. "Don't let it get into your head. There will be no living with you."

"Oh come on, you could do a little fangirling for me from time to time too," he teased.

"No way! Your ego would explode, and we can't have that. Wanna go and grab lunch?"

"Sure, come on," he said, taking her hand and squeezing it gently.

***

The weather had gone crazy. The storm hit Devildom in the evening, and it was pouring so hard, it seemed like the windows could shatter anytime.

Lucifer wasn't at dinner, so Lhori went to look for him. As expected, she heard sounds on the piano coming from the music room. The demon was playing a slow and dreamy tune, his face turned to the window, but his eyes were not focused like his thoughts were somewhere far away.

She quietly sat down on the bench next to him and put a hand on his knee.

"Are you all right, Lucifer?" she asked, concerned.

He looked at her and smiled sadly, his hands on the piano keys stopped. "I have a terrible headache. And I feel anxious for some reason, but I have no idea why. It's like something is hanging in the air, and just waiting to explode. And I don't think it's anything good."

"It's ok," Lhori replied, wrapped her arm around his waist, and put her head on his shoulder. "Do you want me to sit with you?"

"Yes, please." He kissed her head and stroked her hair.

"Play some more," she asked after a moment.

"Will you sing for me?"

"I will. Let's check what we have here," Lhori looked through music sheets.

They spend the rest of a quiet evening in the music room enjoying each other presence, unconsciously preparing themselves for the chaos that was coming.

It was late at night when they were both startled awake by the ringing phone.

"Diavolo?" Lucifer picked up; his voice fully alert. He nodded a few times and then hung up.

"Something happened?" Lhori asked, even though she knew the answer already. Phone calls in the middle of the night never bode well.

"We have to go to RAD. An emergency meeting for the whole council," he said, his brows knitted in a frown.

"Let's go then."