Safety first

Lhori was sitting in the student council room fidgeting with her fingers and looking at Lucifer's empty seat every five seconds. As soon as they entered RAD Barbatos herded them to this room saying the emergency council meeting will proceed in a few minutes. According to him, Lucifer was still away chasing after culprits.

She jumped when the cup of tea was placed before her and looked surprised at Barbatos. He smiled gently at her.

"Do not fret, Lhori. I'm sure Lucifer is fine. Drink this. It will calm your nerves."

"Thank you," she smiled at him thankfully and reached for a cup. Her hand was shaking slightly. She inhaled a strong herbs aroma, sensing the hint of camomile.

The room was slowly filling. Ariel came in with an ugly snarl at her beautiful face huffing and puffing about how rude it was to wake her up at such an early hour. Lhori rolled her eyes and kept drinking her tea. Every time the door opened, she was perking up hoping to see Lucifer there. Unfortunately, he still hadn't shown up when Diavolo came.

He was unusually grave, there was no smile on his face. He took his seat and looked around the room.

"It seems almost all of us are here. Let us proceed, then," the demon lord said without any introduction or usual small talk. "As probably all of you are aware already, there was an incident tonight at RAD. Someone vandalized our respectable institution painting racist threats all over the main entry. Such incidents are unacceptable. The culprits will be brought to justice and punished according to their crime." He looked around the table, his gaze stopping at Lucifer's empty seat. "Lucifer is hunting them as we speak so we should be able to close this case swiftly."

"What if it's not a one-time incident?" asked Satan gloomily. "I do think some drunk, hotheaded demon did this ridiculous inscription, but it revealed the bigger problem that I don't think we considered enough," he looked around the table his gaze stopping at Lhori. "There always been demons that were opposed to the idea of the exchange program. I think we have to reconsider the security measures we are taking before students' arrival next week."

"That's an excellent point, Satan," Diavolo nodded. "I already discussed it with Lucifer. We are planning to assign the guards patrol to RAD and Devildome centre area. Also, we have to restrict students movement to certain areas, to make sure we can fully protect them in case of any unexpected violence. I will also address the whole Devildom later today and emphasize that any threats or attempts to harm our guests from other realms will not be tolerated, and will be met with severe punishment," he broke off and looked at Ariel and then at Lhori. "For the time being, Lhori and Ariel, you will always have a demon guard assign to accompany you wherever you go."

"That's ridiculous!" scoffed the angel. "You really think I can't deal with some lowly demons imagining they could do any harm to an angel?"

"I do not have any doubt you can handle any troubles," Diavolo replied coldly. "Although this is not a matter of discussion. I will not take any risks when it comes to your safety. You can choose your guard personally if you wish, or I will just assign someone and make sure they won't bother you with their presence."

"If you insist," Ariel agreed with a heavy sigh, rolling her eyes.

"I've got Lhori covered," said Beel.

"Good," Diavolo nodded. "If there are no other matters to discuss we'll finish now, as there's still much to do..." he broke off when the doors opened, and Lucifer strode in.

Lhori momentarily perked up, looking at the demon in search for any traces of harm. There were none. There were dark circles under his eyes, showing his exhaustion, but besides that, he looked perfectly fine. She sighed relieved. Lucifer looked at her and smiled gently.

"Oh, Lucifer, good you're here," said Diavolo. "I assume you have good news."

"Indeed," Lucifer nodded. "The culprits have been captured and are currently in palace's dungeons, awaiting for your sentence."

"I'm glad. Let's not make them wait too long then. Meeting adjourned."

Lhori didn't wait for the rest of the council to leave the room. She was not a fan of public shows of affection, but at that moment, she couldn't care less of what others might think. She ran up to Lucifer and closed him in a tight embrace.

"I was so worried!" she murmured into his chest. He kissed the top of her head and chuckled.

"You were worried about me? Silly human, there are not many things that can come even close to harm me," he scoffed and took her chin to turn her head to face him. "But it does please me you worried," he added with a smirk.

"I hate you!" she hissed.

"Nah, you love me," Lucifer said and kissed her.