Ulterior motives

"Rosie!" Lhori exclaimed when Noah opened the heavy door, and she saw her little sister sitting on the big double bed. She looked up startled and then jump out of bed and run up to her.

"Lhori!" the little girl cried hugging her with all her might, her eyes wet with tears.

"I've got you, Pumpkin," Lhori whispered and kissed her head. After a few seconds, she pulled back a bit to look at her little sister. "Are you all right? Have they hurt you?"

"No, they just closed me here," Rose replied, wiping her nose with her sleeve. "Who are those people Lhori? What do they want from us?"

"I don't know, Pumpkin." She hugged her tightly again. "But I promise you I'll get us out of here, ok?"

"Lhori, we need to go now," said Noah quietly from where he stood in a doorway.

"Where... are you going? Don't go! I won't let you!" protested Rosie, tightening her small arms around Lhori's neck.

"It's all right, Pumpkin. I need to talk to these people and ask them to leave us alone. I'll be back in no time. In the meantime, promise me you would be a good girl, and you'll stay here and wait for me, ok?"

"But... I'm scared," Rosie sobbed.

"I know. I am too. But I've got you, sweetheart. And I won't let anyone hurt you, ok?" Lhori picked her sister up and sat her on the bed. "Wait for me here. And when I come back, we will go home together."

Rosie nodded, wiping her tears. "Please hurry."

"I will." Lhori kissed her forehead, and with an aching heart left the room.

Noah nodded to the big, muscular man standing at the door, and he closed it, turning an archaic-looking key. Noah gestured for her to go forward.

They were in some ancient castle in the middle of nowhere. The drive here took them over two hours. Lhori tried to remember the way, but it was dark already, so it was useless. The halls of the castle were full of solemn people armoured to teeth with different types of weapons, melee, crossbows, even guns. They all looked at her with obvious disdain.

"What a happy workplace you have," she said to Noah when one of the passing women sneered at her.

"It's a difficult time for us all. Everyone is on edge," Noah replied, not looking at her.

"Yeah, sure. Where are we going now?"

"The Chief wants to see you."

"Is he your supervisor?"

"Not directly. He is the head of demon hunters here in England."

"Well good, I'm not going to waste my breath for some subordinate at least."

"Lhori..." said Noah quietly and tried to take her hand, but she pulled it away immediately.

"I said, don't touch me!" she hissed.

"Ok, fine," she raised his hands. "I just want you to remember where you are. Please don't do anything stupid or rush..."

"Oh, you are concerned that I'll embarrass you in front of your boss?"

"I don't want you to get hurt," he said solemnly. "I don't know if you are aware of the gravity of the situation here. They will not apologise to you, and they will not ask you to do things. They will demand, and if you don't do it, they will hurt you. Or Rosie. They are not nice people."

"Why are you here then?" she asked incredulously. "Noah, you never struck me as a person who is just a puppet in the hands of others."

"I don't have a choice either, ok?" he spat, losing his composure for a moment. "I'm no one important; I have no say in this. It is my job to follow orders."