The most embarrassing thing

Author's note: 

This part is short but it's important for the one that is coming next. It was inspired by the song "Someone you used to know" by The Dark Element. I've heard this song and the story around it kind of wrote itself :) 

***

 After their meeting in the library, Lucifer talked with Diavolo and all his brothers explaining their ruse and their life got back to normal. More or less. They did not talk about what she said and Lucifer kept his usual distance, careful not to get too close to her, although she caught him a few times while he was following her with his eyes while he thought she wasn't looking.

This evening was a rare occasion when all their small family got together. It was Belphi's and Beel's birthday and after the fun dinner out in Hell's Kitchen, they all sat together in the music room and drank wine and beer and were playing entertaining truth or dare. It was Asmo's turn and he looked at her with a huge grin on his beautiful face.

"Lhori, my sweet kitten! Truth or dare?"

"Truth of course," she replied with a laugh. "If I'd take a dare you would ask me to kiss you, no doubt!"

"Oh, let me have some fun for once!" Asmo whined. "But I'll have you know, that truth won't be any better for you!"

"Asmo, stop slacking and just ask your question," shouted Belphi.

"Ok, ok! Don't shout at me! Lhori, tell us the most embarrassing thing you did while in love!"

"Oh, that should be a good one!" seconded Satan sipping his wine.

"Ugh, unfortunately, I have a really embarrassing story," Lhori said and covered her face in her hands, feeling her cheeks going instantly red.

"Tell us, tell us!" cheered Levi.

"C'mon! Don't be shy!" Mammon wrapped his shoulder around her and gently pry her hands off her face. "We're all family here!"

"I... I wrote a song for a guy who rejected me and then serenaded it under his dorm's window in the middle of the night," she blurted looking at the floor. Boys burst out laughing.

"Oh no, you didn't!" gasped Asmo.

"Yes, I did," she said with an embarrassed smile. "It was a few years ago, I was on my first year in college and was sooo in love with him, I was sure we were meant to be together forever. So when he stopped responding to my calls and messages... I was pretty desperate back then... Ugh, it's so embarrassing, just thinking about it." Boys were hooting and giggling imagining her crazy escapade, but she noticed Lucifer was not laughing he was looking at her with a contemplative expression. When he noticed her gaze he asked over the laughter.

"Do you remember that song?" the silence fell over the room.

"Of course I do. Even though I only sang it once. And I'm not planning to sing it ever again."

"Would you sing it for us?" asked Lucifer, not taking his eyes off her.

"I... I don't think it's a good idea. I was in a pretty bad place while writing it, and I'm really embarrassed," she protested.

"Oh please, Lhori!" exclaimed Asmo. "You can't just drop such an amazing story on us and then refuse to give us the whole picture!"

"Yes, Lhori!" supported Belphi. "It's my birthday! Please sing it for me!"

"C'mon, Lhori," added Mammon. "You know we all love your music! You can't deny us this one, never-released song!"

"Ugh, I hate you all, you know?!" she hissed. She went to Lucifer and ignoring his surprised look she took a glass of wine from his hand. "But I need more liquid courage before singing that to you all," she added and downed the whole glass in one gulp.

"Be my guest," Lucifer said with a smirk, taking an empty glass from her.

She sat at the piano and stretched her fingers.

"Ok, here goes nothing. Please don't laugh too hard, and no judging, ok?"

She was surprised her fingers found the melody with such ease, after all this time. She closed her eyes, imagining this lonely night long ago when she was writing those words, her heart aching and full of love, and started singing.

The song was full of longing and teary love confessions. She wasn't in a good place when she wrote it, so it was almost physically painful to sing it in public. But as they were all like a family for her now, she felt safe sharing it with them. 

When she finished, she expected laughs, but there was only silence. She opened her eyes and looked at them. Mammon sobbed.

"OMG, this was so sad!" he cried wiping his face. "And so beautiful!"

"You must have loved him very deeply to write something like that," said Asmo his eyes shining. "To love with such passion... Can you please love me, Lhori?"

"How did this story end?" asked Satan looking at her curiously. "You said it was your most embarrassing moment, so no happy ending I'm guessing?"

"No happy ending," she admitted. "Turned out, that night there was already that other girl in his bed. So you can imagine my face when I saw her next to him. Plus, he just asked me to go home and stop embarrassing myself," she shrugged.

"What a bastard!" shouted Mammon. "If only I'd be there, I would show him how to treat a lady!"

Beel got up without a word, came up to her, and closed her in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry for you, Lhori," he murmured.

"Oh, Beel..." she replied feeling warm and fuzzy in his strong arms. She patted him on his broad back. "Don't worry, I'm fine. It was a long time ago. And I'm so much smarter now."

"Good," he replied letting her go. "But if you want me to kick his ass, just let me know, ok? It will be a pleasure."

"Thank you," she said, and she meant it. She felt Lucifer gaze on her for all this time, but he hasn't uttered a word. "Ok, can we just move on with the game, please? I'm pretty sure I had my share of embarrassing confessions for one night."