The Summoning

Content warning: minor violence scenes

--------------------------------------------------------

The summoning room was an ample round space. In the centre on the floor, there was a big circle drawn with chalk, full of glowing runes. Lhori, at this point well versed in demonic runes, recognised the perfect summoning circle, even though she has never drawn one herself. Around the symbol stood five demon hunters. All of them were bulky men with gloomy expressions. They wielded a weapon, that looked kind of like a crossbow, but instead of a bolt, they were loaded with a net of chains sparkling with silver.    

                The leader of demon hunters stopped a step short from the circle and looked at his soldiers.

"Are you ready?" Men nodded without a pause. "Good, then we will proceed then. And remember fire only on the order of the lord archangel. If you fire before the demon puts down his guard, there will be no effect. Is that clear?"

"Yes, sir!" they barked.

"Splendid. Lord Michael, you can begin."

"Marvelous. Grant, if you would bring our lovely guest over here," he gestured to the place in front of the circle, but a few good meters away. Noah walked her there, but then looked at the archangel with open hostility, which she did not expect from him.

"Remember your promise, archangel. She'd better not be harmed," he growled.

"Oh, spare me your bite now, human," scoffed Michael. "It's all on her now. If she's a good girl and does as she's asked, nothing bad will happen. Oh, speaking off which, I believe our little incentive is here now too."

                The door to the chamber opened, and brutish looking demon hunter walked in, pushing little Rose in front of him.

"Rosie! No!" Lhori shouted and wanted to run to the trembling little girl, but Noah tightened his hand on her elbow.

"Oh, don't worry, sweetheart," said Michael conversationally. The brute stood on the other side of the room, keeping his big hand on Rosie's shoulders. Her face was pale and wet from tears. Her eyes were darting around the room. "We are not going to hurt her. She's here to remind you what you have to lose. So don't try anything stupid, ok? I'd hate to see this little life cut short so early."

"You are despicable!" she spat full of hate.

"Save your petty insults, I couldn't care less," he said with his charming smile. "Now, it's high time to proceed. Grant here will remove your magic blocker, and you will be able to summon Lucifer. Now listen, and listen well. Once he appears, he will undoubtedly be very angry with us. It is crucial that you order him right away to cease any fight. He is to wait and let us do our job without resistance. Do you understand?"

"What will you do with him?" Lhori asked, her voice trembling.

"Oh, don't you trouble your pretty little head with it. We will bound him and throw him into the dungeon. At least until the whole conflict in the underworld is resolved."

"And then?"

"Who knows? Maybe I'll be in a forgiving mood and let him walk free? You never know," Michael smirked. "Come on now, time to make yourself useful. And remember, don't even think of summoning other demons, or little Rosie will never see her parents again," he added coldly.

                Lhori gritted her teeth and nodded. Michael moved back to the shadows at the back of the room, while Noah took off the magic bracelet. Her hands were still cuffed, though.

"I'm sorry," Noah whispered, before walking away. She ignored him and looked at the circle in front of her.

                She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, her heart pounding and mind racing. But it doesn't matter how hard she thought; there was no way out. She let her thoughts drift for a moment, sensing the bond she shared with Lucifer. She could feel he was uneasy, angry, bone-tired. She hated herself for what she was going to do, but she had no choice.