Life goes on (in Devildom) 2

It was early morning. Lhori's head felt like it was going to break in half. It's been a while since she had such a monstrous hangover. She went barefoot through empty and silent halls of the House of Lamentation, still wearing a dress from yesterday's party. When she reached the kitchen, she looked around in search of coffee. She put a kettle on but didn't found coffee in a usual place. Cursing under her nose she started rummaging through the cupboards. Finally, she located it on the topmost shelf. She cursed again. Of course, it would be there. She was straining to reach it, but she was definitely too short.

"Lhori?" she heard a surprised voice. "What are you doing here?" She looked at Lucifer who just entered the kitchen. He looked perfect as always. She didn't even look at the mirror. She didn't want to see how she looked after passing out yesterday.

"I'm trying to make a coffee, but some sadist put it on the top shelf! Would you mind lending me a hand here?" He laughed and effortlessly reached for the coffee.

"I meant, what are you doing here, in the House of Lamentation. Not that I mind seeing you here in the morning. But, as I recall, you refused our invitation time and time again."

"Well, we got back here yesterday for the afterparty. That functional party wasn't very good. So Satan brought more wine, and then Mammon and Levi joined with even more wine, and then..." she stopped and frowned. "I can't really remember what happened then. It was probably when I passed out on the couch in the music room..."

"Well, I'm glad at least you guys had a good afterparty. I had to stay on that dreadful functional until the end..."

"Why?" she asked pouring boiling water over the mugs.

"It was expected of me. Someone had to entertain the delegates, while the rest of Devildom's representants decided to escape early," he added in a condemning tone.

"Shame I didn't have a clause about parties in my contract," she replied with a mischievous smile and hand him a cup of coffee.

"I can make sure to add it when we renew it," he replied with a smirk.

"Don't you dare!" She took her cup and sat at the small table savoring the smell of coffee. She was tempted to tease him about a beautiful angel lady, but she thought the atmosphere was so nice she didn't want to ruin it, so she just sipped her drink.

"Do you want some breakfast?" Lucifer asked.

"No, thanks. I'll just finish my coffee and I have to run. I need to get to my place to shower and change before getting to RAD. Plus, I don't think my stomach would be able to accept any food right now," she added with a sigh. Lucifer sat at the table too.

"Why don't you leave some of your things here?" he asked looking at her with curiosity. She put down her coffee and looked back at him.

"Lucifer... we talked about it..."

"I know. I'm fully aware you don't wish to live with us anymore. But you are always welcome here and, in case of this kind of afterparties, wouldn't it be nice to not have to get up at sunset and rushing to your place?"

"You may have a point," she admitted sipping her coffee.

"Your room is still intact. You can leave a change of clothes and whatever you need in the morning. I'm sure everyone would be happy if you stay for breakfast from time to time."

"I'd like that too," she said quietly not looking at him. "Actually, I just realized, I really miss this place. And all of you..."

"You are always welcome here. Whenever you are ready." They sat in silence for a while drinking coffee. Finally, Lhori stood up and put her cup in the sink.