TEN

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Z = TEN ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

[ 7 YEARS AGO, PRE-PETRIFICATION ]

simple. the word simple was the least logical thing a person could describe you, (y/n) (l/n), as. sure, you seemed like the average fun-loving person, who's mind only swayed one direction, even though this wasn't the case at all. for you, your trail of thoughts seemed to work like paths; each person who would belittle you or neglect you for your "overwhelming" personality would just dig up a new path making your mind go in circles.

nonetheless, you taught yourself how to be tolerable, to tame your "unbearable" personality, and seemed to conceal every bit of negative attributes you may have had. it was more like stuffing it down, but it looked like  it had work— in your eyes, at least.

senku seemed to notice this, as he unpleasantly sat at your table— given no other choice—, and he noticed you've been focusing your attention on everything that wasn't the paper in front of you. sure, you both were only nine, but he knew you weren't ignoring your work because you didn't understand it, so why were you so distracted?

"oi, bonehead," he groaned quite coldly, getting irked by you zoning out and staring into nothingness for the third- no- fourth time today. he didn't tell you to focus the other times, or rather, he didn't care enough. your attention was quickly brought back when he flicked your forehead roughly, you blink rapidly for a second, gaining your senses back.

you fill out the worksheet in front of you, finishing it in a matter of five minutes. you toss your pencil aside, and glance at senku, who'd had a glare fixated on you, with an eyebrow raised sternly. you wanted to dismiss this, thinking he would have looked away now, but it looked like he wanted to blurt something out.

"what..?" you mumble innocently, as senku exhaled sharply, looking away from you, "nothing."

"why are you acting so strange today, (l/n) san?" hina asks, as she turns to look at you. she was as curious of your current demeanor as senku had been. you abruptly turn to her, the tips of your ears felt warm, as you glance at senku, then back to hina.

hina shrugs, "i mean, usually you'd be cracking a few harmless jokes... you seem a bit... off today.." she states, her voice trailing off as she puts her pencil down.

"it's nothing.. really... i guess i'm a bit hungry," you lie, trying to force a small smile, but it quickly drops down to a frown.

senku wanted to comment on how your lunch period already passed, but he chose to keep his mouth shut after realizing he didn't see you sit at your normal lunch table. it made him even more confused about your current behavior.

hina sighs as she reaches into her lunch box, taking a pork steam bun out, and handing it to you, taking you, and senku, by surprise. she unwraps the plastic wrap, holding it out to you once again.

"yamo senpai i'm-" you start, quickly getting interrupted by hina insisting by gently shoving the steam bun in your mouth, making your words inaudible and hard to make out.

taiju stomps back to your table after his bathroom break, and sits down in his chair promptly. his eyes practically glimmer when he sees the steam bun in his mouth. before he could even speak, you quickly interject.

"am i a nuisance to you all?" you blurt, finishing the bun that hina had given you. there was a short pause of pure silence. "....nevermind, sorry-"

"nuisance for what?" senku asks in a bored tone, digging his pinky finger in his ear, which was a habit he had gained.

"i just feel like.... i'm a mere distraction to you all? i feel like there's always some sort of conflict here, and i feel i'm always the problem. that sounds kinda selfish i.... sorry," you mumble the last words quietly, sinking down into your chair.

"yeah, you're right," senku shrugs. it wasn't the answer you were expecting, but you somehow saw it coming. you didn't turn to face him, instead, you sighed softly in response.

hina was nearly about to retort, before senku spoke again, "you may be a moron, you may be spout out useless things all the time, but feeling like it's wrong and spending your time overthinking about it is illogical."

"listen, if you're going to waste your time changing yourself for other people's well-being, wipe that ridiculous frown off your face. stop trying to be such a crowd-pleaser, you're letting that get in the way of actual reality, and it's not even logical. not a even a millimeter," he scoffs, crossing his arms.

his response only made you want to question it more. it didn't even answer your initial question, but somehow, he was able to explain all your thoughts into words. you didn't get it. not one bit. was he admitting that he was tired of you?

hina sighs and adjusts her glasses, "(l/n) san, why would you think that? frankly, i think you're quite resourceful and very helpful when it comes to group projects. i don't see what would make you think that you're a nuisance."

"just like senku said, i don't think you should cause this to cloud up your brain. i can tell this has been crossing your mind multiple times. don't feel the need to change yourself for others, okay?" hina reassures, making you feel a bit better. she holds her hand out, and you take it, sitting up in your chair once again.

"yeah! what they said! if you want, you can hang out with yuzuriha and i!" taiju beams, flashing you a bright smile. you weren't sure how his offer was even related to your problem, but you brush off the thought.

"i don't wanna be a third-wheeler... i'm fine, really!" you smile, making taiju blush slightly.

senku quietly scoffs to himself at your sudden change in behavior. he didn't completely understand you, and it made him frustrated.

the ever so familiar laugh rang through his ears again, and this time he was actually relieved to hear it. he even wonders how he's able to tolerate you and why you were so persistent to be friends with him when he constantly pushed you away. he couldn't find the answer, and it frustrated him even more.

✎༅ author's note ˎˊ-
a bit shorter (and ANOTHER childhood chapter), but i wanted to touch on hina's character more!! she's one of my favorites in the whole entire book <3

also, i wanted to take this opportunity to inform you all about the yemen crisis, since i sadly haven't seen too many people speak out about it.

i urge you all to check out the carrd yemencrisis.carrd.co, for resources, information, and how you can help.

the media doesn't seem to be covering this, so please!! <3

another thing, thank you for all the love on this book!! i read all your comments and they make me smile ❤️❤️

( by the way, if anyone was wondering where hina's appearance/character was inspired from, she's rio futaba from bunny girl senpai! )

- r