TWELVE

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ Z = TWELVE ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

gen let let a quiet groan, provoking you to roll your eyes at how impatient you were both getting. you, kaseki, and gen were watching a water mill that was placed under the waterfall for about twenty minutes now. you sit on the grass with your legs crossed, watching the mill rotate.

during this, you tried to think of last night, regarding how you woke up in a sleeping bag this morning, when you didn't remember getting in one im the first place. you've been meaning to ask senku but you haven't seen him since you woke up. it concerned gen, who'd noticed you and kaseki looked as if you were in a middle of a deep thought, so gen had been  feeling like he'd been talking to a brick wall this whole entire time.

his shoulders slouch and he whines, "what exactly does this do?" he asks sheepishly, causing your attention to snap at him. you sigh and shrug, "it probably carbonates the water..." your voice trails off as you carefully observe the mill, "could be wrong, though." it was then you realized saying that might've been a mistake, seeing that gen's jaw nearly dropped to the floor.

he frantically takes a glass and pours the water into another, his eyes growing wider and wider. you stand up, walking over to him slowly. you watched as he lets the bubbling liquid fall, and a little squeal was heard from him as he takes the two glasses and sprints away. you blink rapidly in surprise at the sudden action, heaving a sigh.

your legs seemed to move on their own when you were chasing him. you had an idea why he was in such a rush, but you follow his figure in anticipation.

as you both were nearing the main hut, gen spoke, "senku chan! what's this fizzy water for?-" he was interrupted by his own shriek and there was a brief moment of silence as his eyes scanned inside.

you finally catch up, panting lightly. you tilt your head in confusion when you see chrome and senku passed out on the floor. this was probably why they both seemed missing this morning.

you pick up part of the debris, "was there... an explosion or something?" you ask curiously, scanning the piece.

gen copies your actions and picks one of the ground, "this is pretty bad, huh?... what have you done?"

senku's eyes flutter open as he groans, shifting a little. he looks at you both, finally standing up and extending his arms out, snickering, "we haven't done anything, really.."

"we poured vinegar on some cooked shells, extracted glacial acetic acid using sulfuric acid, turned it into a ketene in an iron pipe, and put it back to make acetic anhydride.."

at this point you had walked through gen and senku to check up on chrome who had passed out on the floor. you squat down to give him a gentle shake, and his eyes flutter open. a small smile forms on your face as you help him up.

as senku kept mumbling about what progress was made, you decide to head outside the hut to see what else needed to be done.

"and after that- get back here, (y/n)," senku says sternly, without moving from his spot. you stiffen and exhale sharply as you stand next to gen, wondering what he needed you for. he would occasionally glance at you while he was explaining to gen, your eyes seemed to be locked on the green colored tips of senku's hair.

once senku was finally done, he took the carbonated water and poured it in another glass. at this point your mind trailed somewhere else, so you sneak away from the hut successfully.

as you walk away, you sighed deeply. it seemed you arrived at the village at the wrong time. they were finishing up the anti-biotic, there was nothing much you could do but watch and monitor ruri's health.

a voice calls out your name and your ears perk up, "(y/n) san!- over here!" hina calls out, she sat under a tree, flailing her hand for you to see her. you look in surprise and walk over to her.

you sit next to her, no words were exchanged, but the silence was quite peaceful. finally, hina clears her throat, "are you doing okay? there must be something bothering you.." she looks at you and raises her brow.

"well..." you start, your voice trailing off. she waits for you to continue, "nothing really.. is there anything i can help with?" you state, and hina exhales.

"you're lying through your teeth..." she mumbles. she fixes he glasses and gazes to the tree leaves, "listen, if this is about you feeling uneasy about coming back here, i don't blame you; but a particular someone is relieved to see you."

you say nothing and wait for her to elaborate. "i had a conversation with senku a couple nights ago, actually.."

"(y/n) isn't the type of person to leave another's side," senku says, running his fingers through his hair. hina listens curiously.

"you can't possibly be implying that she's joined tsukasa's army, right?" hina asks nervously, and senku murmurs to himself.

"it's extremely likely, stupid... i-"

hina slams her hand on the table, making senku flinch, "snap out of it, dumbass. if you know she wouldn't leave someone's side, why the hell would she leave yours? god, sometimes you're so damn impractical when it comes to her. why can't you admit that she's important for the kingdom of science? at least then i wouldn't have to listen to your repetitive rambles about her."

your lips part as she finishes explaining their conversation, "like the stubborn guy he is, he just wouldn't admit that he was worried for you. it got annoying, you know."

you were about to speak, but she interrupts, "that's why he's probably grateful that you're near him again. same for me, if i have to listen to him again i might go crazy."

"i never thought of it that way, really. i thought he would push me away, but... something told me it would be different this time around.." you hum and hina nods. "thank you, hina, really."

she nods again and crosses her arms..

"you know, (y/n) san....

"i've always envied you."

✎༅ author's note ˎˊ-
SURPRISE!!! I UPDATED!!
i've been busy with school, but i'll try writing the next chapter asap. sorry if this left off like a cliffhanger ;]

THANK YOU FOR 11K ON THIS BOOK<33

- r