THIRTEEN

READ A/N!!!
"i've always envied you.."

you're eyes widen and there was a brief moment of silence between the two of you. hina adjusts her glasses and looks at you, and your mouth parts slightly. her gaze was sincere, and her glossy eyes almost glistened.

"..m-me?" you stutter, and she looks away from you nodding. she awkwardly picks grass with her fingers, and you wait for her to speak. you weren't the slightest bit sure of what she was going to say, there was slight tension in the air. something about it felt uncomfortable.

"you're bright... too bright. you somehow always know the right thing to say and you're just so.... likable... i almost hate it... and it's so easy for you to come to terms of  your feelings."

"hina.."

"and her.. god, her. she was always with you..." the atmosphere changed, it felt heavy, and emotional. the tension started to grow between the both of you, making it an even more uncomfortable atmosphere as you try to process her words. you didn't know what to do. her? who's 'her'?

you stare at her patiently and longingly. you silently pleaded her to elaborate. hina bit the inside of her cheek and let out a shaky breath. it was complete spur of the moment.

there was a longer silence, the atmosphere was growing heavier. you thought for a moment, brainstorming who exactly she was talking about— and then it hit you.

"ah- do you mean sakaruta senpai?" causing the tension to break for a split second. hina stiffens. the only thing that could be heard was the gentle breeze which gently blew the grass that lay on hina's hand.

her head lowers and she bites her lip, "..how'd you know?" she starts to tremble and you frown, as your hand reaches her's, making hina flinch.

her eyes tingled when she looked into yours, the look of genuine concern and comfort at the same time, "(y/n)...?-"

"she talked about you whenever she got the chance! sheesh... you two are close, yeah?" you say, causing hina's eyes to widen and glisten as she looked into your burning ones. the atmosphere changed once again, heavy, but a significant weight lifted off.

...

"of course we'll stick together, hina chan!" sakaruta takes her wrist gently as they ran to school together. hina gazed at her in absolute awe, the wind perfectly flowing her hair in all directions.

———

"you'll do great, hina! i'll be right by your side!"

–––

"hey, hina. let's stop talking for a while... I.."

---

"we were close..." hina smiles to herself gently, "it went away in a heartbeat," and you frown, feeling a sort of guilt. were you taking the time hina could be spending with sakaruta away? "i had no idea, i-"

"it's not only that... you're just so... great. i've always admired how you can be so straight forward with your feelings, (y/n)-"

her words were cut off as you pull her into a hug, "we'll get her back, sakaruta i mean. i'll make sure of it, hina," you say sternly, embracing her as she gasps a little. she finally settles into your touch and relaxes as she wraps her arms around you, and she digs her face into the crook of your neck.

"i want to be able to say those three words to her," she mumbles, and you nod, "and you will."

you both stay comfortably for a while, and finally part when senku's voice is heard, "where the hell is gen and (n/n).. oi, you two... hey!"

you get up, dusting yourself off, and you give hina a thumbs up. you turn to senku, sighing when you notice the frown plastered on his face. you chuckle and throw your arm around him, making him groan.

"let's get back to work, yeah?" you snicker, making him groan in annoyance, though he didn't do anything to throw your bothersome arm off of his shoulders.

"you idiot, i told you to stay!-"

you sigh again and slip your arm off, getting behind him and pushing his back with both of your hands, his feet dragged against the dirt, "yeah, yeah whatever C'MON!"

hina chuckles and whispers to herself, "for a moment, i thought she would think i was in love with senku.." she sighs, standing up and dusting herself off.

"hmm... he doesn't seem like your type, though... and she seems to know that, somehow.." gen snickers behind her, making hina jolt and groan at the mischievous man. she crosses her arms and turns to him.

"how long were you listening....?" hina raises a brow, not even surprised he had been eavesdropping over the both of you. gen shrugs as a bead of sweat rolls down his face.

"not long, really. it's not like your information will benefit me in anyway.... just nosy that's all, hina chan~" gen states, causing hina scoffs and turns away. gen's face returns, "seems like (y/n) chan has a weight on her shoulders..."

☆ ☆ ☆

"are we almost done?" kohaku asks, crossing her arms as senku looks at the mixture. you all worked yourself off to complete the drug, and everyone was relieved it was almost finished, especially kohaku.

senku takes a glance at you before clearing his throat, and putting on a grin. he lifts the tray in a victorious manner, "it's done!"

that signaled chrome to flail his arms in the air, "YEAH!"

you smile widely and feel a rush in you, eventually letting your shoulders relax. you whisper silently "amazing..."

senku seemed to catch this, as he puts on a relieved smile. everyone was celebrating, kohaku almost in tears, and at this moment you were just happy you were there to witness it.

a few intervals passed, and they announced they were going to give the finished anti-biotic to ruri in the village; since it would technically be trespassing, you stayed behind with gen, anticipating his reaction to the surprise you helped senku prepare.

you follow gen into the hut, and he immediately freezes in place after seeing the glass bottle that was placed on the table, "is this..."

his eyes widened as he warily reached out to it, eventually grabbing it and popping the tab off. he doesn't hesitate to start downing it while the foam drips down from his mouth.

"BA-HAAAAA!!!" was heard from gen, it practically rung through the villager's ears. he pants in disbelief as he closes the bottle, and turns around frantically as if he had just seen a spiritual being.

footsteps were heard behind you, and hina stands next to you in concern, "what's up with him..?" she raises her eyebrow, and gen hiccups as his face forms into a smile.

you shake your head and dismiss the man, turning to hina, "you didn't go to the village with the others?" you ask, and hina shrugs, laughing nervously.

"nah... however, gen and i had something to ask you, (y/n).."

"why do you seem so troubled lately, (y/n) chan?"

a/n hi it's been a while and this is unedited and unfinished so please read the next authors note chapter :(