Chapter 8

2 weeks later

Emily's POV

I didn't know what to think of the kiss James and I had. I mean, I felt like it was meant to be, but he's dating my little sister. How bad would it look if James breaks up with Riley and then dates me? Pretty bad. But I have bigger problems. Riley has been distant since she woke up in the hospital. She goes to her room as soon as she gets home and stays there until Nancy drags her out. Nancy is our step-mom. Mom and dad were divorced 5 years before she died, and dad married Nancy 2 years ago. Riley comes down to dinner with her face red and blotchy and I've noticed she hasn't worn mascara, probably doesn't want it to run, and eats in silence. We all start a conversation and we ask Riley about a bunch of stuff, but she just looks nods or shakes her head before going back to eating. After dinner she runs back upstairs and we don't see her again until morning. So tonight's the same. We're having dinner and Riley's incredibly quiet. "How's everything?" Dad asked Riley.
"Fine." She answered.
"How's James?" He asked. She stopped eating and put her fork down.
"I'm done." She said quietly. She got up and put her plate in the kitchen before turning and walking upstairs. We just sort of watched her. I stood up and walked up the stairs. I walked into Riley's room. She sat on the bed on her laptop.
"Everything alright?" I asked.
"I guess." She answered.
"Ri, what's up?" I asked sitting on her bed. I was sick of pretending I couldn't tell she was upset when I really could. It was killing me inside.
"How could you?" She asked tears in her eyes. I stared at her. She looked at a picture of her and James before looking back at me. The photo was of them kissing in the beautiful fall forest behind our house. I had always loved the photo. I knew exactly what this was about. Her tears fell as she turned the photo so it faced down.
"Ri." I said scooting closer to her. I tried to wrap my arms around her in a hug, but she moved away.
"I wake up in the hospital to find my sister and my boyfriend kissing. Then I find out my moms dead. And on top of that, I'm the one left to do all the funeral stuff and figuring out who's coming and, I just can't do it." She said breaking down in tears.
"Riley. I-"
"Just save it. You've done enough." She said standing up and walking out of the room.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Over the next few days Riley didn't show up to dance. To make matters worse, she wouldn't talk to me. Nancy couldn't even pull her down to dinner anymore. Whenever I saw her, which wasn't often, her face was red and eyes were puffy. James hadn't gotten as much as a text from her since the hospital. She wouldn't even look at him. On the 5th day of Riley's absence Kate was starting to get annoyed. "Emily. My office. Now." She said when the group was warming up. I walked over to her office and closed the door behind me.
"Yes miss Kate?" I asked.
"Can you tell me why Riley hasn't been attending dance?" She asked.
"Um. She has appendicitis?" I suggested.
"Really? Shouldn't she be in a hospital getting surgery to get better?" Kate asked.
"She is. Why do you think she isn't?"
"It's just that, Chloe seems to recall seeing Riley at school."
"Well. We all know Riley hates missing school."
"Emily. What's really up?" Kate asked seriously.
"It's a family matter miss Kate. But I can tell you that it's taken an emotional toll on her." I explained. Kate nodded.
"Ok." She said giving in. "But I expect to see her soon. Right?"
"As soon as possible." I said. Kate smiled and walked back out to A troupe.