Broken trust

Chilling on the turf we lost track of time and before we knew it the sun was setting. I turned to face Tami pointing at the sunset. "Look how beautiful the skyline is tonight." I mouthed.

Tami did look, she looked me straight in the eyes and before I knew it her lips were pounding against mine. I could feel my heartbeat "or was it her heartbeat?" I thought. I was so confused yet intrigued, torn between momentum and all the thoughts in my head.

"What is going on!!!" I thought as I pushed myself free, blabbing not knowing what to say. I could see the expression on Tami's face, she looked worried, afraid yet somehow relived. On the other hand, chaos broke inside of me I could imagine each cell in my body running wild, like hands in the air, run for your life wild. I tensed realizing I was making eye contact, and at once I looked away. I did not know what to do or what to say so I just stood up and ran away.

I heard Tami saying, "I am sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." However, I kept running and did not look back.

On my way home I was lost in thoughts, I could not believe what just happened. "What about Theo? How will he react to this?" I thought. Knowing the reaction, he had when I told him the truth about Daniel I scared, scared of his reaction when he finds out that this time I was kissed by his own sister.

Thousands of thoughts crossed my mind, initially I felt furious. "What was she thinking! was it I who led her on? But no, how could I? I did not know she liked girls!" Ugh this infuriated me. I was confused and only Tami could help me get the answers to all my questions.

When I got down from the bus, I walked to a nearby playground and decided to get myself together and give Tami a call. She did not pick up and I decided to text her instead.

Anna: Hey Tam, I tried calling you not long ago. I would like to talk to you about what happened earlier. I would like to excuse myself for running away. I hope you will call back.

Tami: Hey I cannot talk now, but I will call you later.

I started pacing back and forth. "Why didn't she pick up? Why can't she call me now? What is so important right now?" I was scared because all these thoughts led to one important question. "Was she confessing everything to Theo?" I cannot believe what was happening, how fast things turn from bad to worse.

It was getting extremely late, so I went back home. Tami still has not called, and I was growing impatient, I wanted to call but I was afraid to get her in trouble, so I sent her another message.

Anna: Tam, is everything okay? Can you please at least tell me what is going on. I am worried sick.

As I grew inpatient waiting for Tami to answer my messages, I decided to call Samantha, Theo's other sister. However, she did not pick up either and when I tried calling Theo it went directly to voice mail. I messaged Samantha as well, hoping that she will tell me what was happening.

Anna: Hey Sam :) how are you? By any chance are Tami and Theo next to you please? I have been trying to contact them to no avail and I am getting worried.

Samantha: Anna I feel bad about this, but I think you should know. Theo is not being honest with you. I cannot talk right now, but I will contact you later.

                                 ...........................

At dawn my phone rang, it was Samantha.

"Morning Hun, I am sorry if I woke you up this early, but this is the only time I could call without interruptions." Samantha said.

"Yeah, it's okay. Do you have any news about your siblings? I have not heard from both yesterday and I am still worried." I asked, hoping she will give me something.

"That is why I called you, I am annoyed with all these lies. I can tell you everything I know but you must come to meet me during school hours." She added.

I Jumped out of bed, called in sick and went to get ready while still planning the whole thing with Samantha. I was feeling anxious, and my brain was about to explode. I was curious why Samantha decided to go behind her sibling's back and was ready to uncover all their lies, but I did not really give care at this stage. All I wanted is to know the truth and nothing else mattered.

Today was not a day to be self-conscious, I just put on some comfortable clothes and tied my hair up in a messy bun and was ready to go. As soon as I set foot on the bus, I had this feeling in my stomach, a mixture of nausea and tingling. "Was I ready to face the truth?" I thought to myself.

My head began to hum, and my heart rate increased as soon as the bus driver stopped signalling that we had arrived. While I was walking or better dragging myself. I was preparing myself for the worst, my heart was already in shatters. However, my brain was imagining all sorts of scenarios, already finding solutions to problems that did not yet exist.

I was so lost that I did not notice I was already next to the cafeteria we had previously agreed to meet at. I peered among people to try and find Her, but I did not see her anywhere. Samantha approached; I glimpsed in her direction. I have never met her in person. She had long brown hair, brown eyes, and tan skin. She was shorter than me and when she smiled, she showed of her cute dimples, which I envied.

"Hey Anna!"

"Oh hey, I didn't see you there. Did you get a table already?"

"Yes, right over there." She said leading the way.

"Thank you, I am glad you are trying to help." I told her sincerely.

Suddenly Samantha turned pale, she did not move, not even her eyelids. She kept her gaze still as if she saw something she should not have, and indeed she did. I turned and looked in the same direction she was. I was taking aback when I saw Tami. Her facial expression spoke for herself, she looked disgusted but not surprised. Samantha was still under shock and her eyes widened when Tami approached us. There is no way she knew what we were up too. "Was this by coincidence?" I thought.

"Well, aren't you supposed to be at school Sam, what are you doing here?" Tami said disgusted.

We both kept silent, we could not face her.

"Sam, leave us and go back to school before I call mum." Tami said angrily.

Samantha murmured 'I am sorry' and left without looking back. "UH-OH!! I was all alone, what am I going to say now??" I thought.

"WAIT" I yelled, in Samantha's direction.

In that moment, my heart sank. I was so close to figuring the mystery that was Theo. I could not just sit there and watch as Sam rushed out of the coffee shop. Right then I noticed that everyone was starring in my direction. I gave Tami an angry look and dashed out in hopes of catching up with Sam.