Chapter 34

My mouth goes dry and I put down the knife I was using to chop ingredients for the meatballs.

"You ok?" Jeff asks as he looks at me I turn to him and try to smile.

"Uh yeah," I reply, "I just remembered a weird dream I had..."

"Oh? What was it about?" BEN asks as he looks at me.

I laugh slightly nervously, "No it's nothing... Well I guess I just saw my brother..."

"You have a brother?" Jeff says slightly surprised. (If you don't pretend you do)

"Well, did," I say as I remember what happened, "He died four years ago..."

Both of their mouths make an 'o' shape. "Don't worry about it, it was a while ago," I say as I try to end the conversation. It was a bad idea bringing B/N up.

"How old was he..." BEN asks and I really wish he hasn't.

"Twelve, I was sixteen at the time," I explain as I start to chop the food faster. (Reader is twenty in this story)

"Was he the boy is that picture?" Jeff asks and I only chop faster.

"Yes, he was," I say slightly more aggressively than I meant to, "That was just before he was murdered."

I stop. That was the first time I ever said he was actually murdered and not just some accident.

"Uh Y/N we want meatballs not meat slush," Jeff points out and I look down to see that I chopped it to almost mush.

"Fuck!" I yell and slam the knife down. I breathe in and then out trying to calm down.

"Uh you ok?" Dr Smiley asks as he pokes his head around the door frame.

"Yeah..." I say as I calm down, "Just slightly stressed."

There's a scoff from Jeff, "That's an understatement."

"Jeff?" I say as I force a smile and pick up my knife again.

"Yeah?" He replies as I turn around.

"Shut up," I smile as I point the knife at him.

His eyes grow if that's possible and he nods furiously as he understands the threat. "Yes ma'am."

"Good," I say as I scrap the failed attempt of food into the bin. "Now for round two."

The second attempt goes much better and soon we're all back in the living room eating.

"This is really good Miss Y/N!" Sally cheers and I smile.

"Thanks Sally," I say as I hear my phone ring. My mood sours and I don't know anyone who could be calling that won't make me feel annoyed right now.

Groaning I stand up and go into the hall. The number seems to be F/N.

I click accept and I can already hear F/N's drugged up voice. "Y/NNNN!"

"What's up?" I ask as I decide they might not annoy me but we'll have to see.

"Can you bring me some stuff from my apartment? Pleaseeeeeee?" F/N asks and I sigh.

"Why me?"

"Like you're busy," F/N snorts and if it wasn't for the fact they're probably high off whatever medicine they're getting at the hospital I might strangle them.

"You do know you don't have to say that out loud," I reply but I've already accepted my fate of going to their apartment tomorrow.

"Well I can cause I'm drugged up to my eyeballs," F/N giggles and I roll my eyes.

"Is that all?" I ask as I try to fight the small smile on my face.

"Yep!" F/N says cheerfully, "Love ya!"

"Uh huh," I reply as I end the call. I'm glad they seem to be doing ok, or at least better.