Chapter 9: Tell me about Dad

"Dad! Dad!" Jimin called out, running into the living room, looking as if he just stopped dance practice.

"Jiminie?" Namjoon's tone was at first calm, figuring it was just Jimin exaggerating about how annoying the intro to his latest dance was.

"Parent teacher interviews are next week." Namjoon looked up from his laptop with wide eyes, and slowly shut the laptop screen. Jimin mirrored Namjoon's expression, the father-son pair both looked panicked.

"I'm scared Dad. I'm scared that I'm going to get a bad grade and that my teachers won't like me!" Jimin exclaimed, sitting next to Namjoon on the couch and looking in his direction.

"I'm scared that I'll fuck up, in front of my boyfriend-not-boyfriend!" Namjoon turned to Jimin and exhaled deeply, rubbing his hands together.

"I'm going to call Seokjin-kun, he can fix shit like this." Jimin chuckled, both nervous and somewhat relieved, standing up and walking to the doorway. He froze and looked back to Namjoon.

"Dad, are you sure you don't like Seokjin-san?" Namjoon raised his eyebrows, at this point, he had accepted defeat to himself, but not to Jimin.

"No. I only like him as a friend, nothing more." Jimin tutted, Namjoon sighing when he heard Jimin's fading voice.

"Uh huh, sure you don't like him. He's just a friend. Nothing more..." Namjoon reached for his phone and he tapped Seokjin's contact, putting the phone to his ear and waiting.

"Seokjin-kun?" Namjoon's voice was not anxious like it was with Jimin moments previous, a soft smile played on his lips and his cheeks were pink, with anticipation, it seemed to be.

"Namjoon-san! Hey! Parent Teacher Interviews next week, right?" Namjoon's heart fell and he exhaled shakily, running his left hand through his hand, his right hand gripping the phone tightly.

"How did you know? Jimin only just told me!" 'How did he know? I'm the parent... he's the person I rented to play the part... so why does it feel I'm not on par with him?'

"It was on the school's website, I saw it there a few days ago." 'Website?' Namjoon's insecurities that he hadn't thought about in a while relapsed, highlighting themselves and clicking ctrl b of their own accord. He couldn't help but sink further into the couch, taking a shaky breath as he did so.

"Jimin isn't even your kid, how is it that you're such a better parent than me?" Namjoon voiced his security out loud without realising he had done so. For so long, he was constantly worried he wasn't a good enough parent to Jimin. He taught Jimin to work hard and to go for his dreams, he taught Jimin that a good work ethic was the key to success and that while money did mean a lot, it didn't guarantee happiness.

"I'm hardly there Namjoon-kun, and trust me, you're a great parent." Hearing the words from Seokjin somehow validated what he was supposed to be thinking. 'If Seokjin says I'm a great parent... then I must be, right? He's perfect in every way possible... I don't think he'd give a compliment without being sincere about it... right?'

"If you say so..." His voice was shaky, as was his breathing. His eyes snapped towards the door in which Jimin had exited minutes ago and he nearly dropped the phone. 'What does Jimin think? Does he think I'm a bad parent?'

"Relax, Namjoon-kun. You're panicking, your voice is getting more and more shaky with every sentence." Namjoon relaxed slightly, not realising how much he was panicking until that moment.

"My place. Now." It was impulsive, Namjoon knew, but he needed to perfect the dynamic between them three in time for the interview. Namjoon and Seokjin's chemistry was already brilliant, this, Namjoon already knew, however, him and Jimin were a different story.