Chapter 24: Reunion

After that call, Seokjin had been through much contemplation. To him, it seemed as if an epiphany had hit the moment Jimin hung up, he was terrified, yes, but he didn't know what of. Yes, Jimin was scary when angry in his own right, however, he was also scared with the way he saw himself. When he was alone, he had grown bitter and miserable, he was unable to focus. Everything seemed to pertain to Namjoon. They were so happy when they were together, they were so lovely. He loved him so much, yet he didn't know how to apologise.

Apologies were harder for Seokjin than confessions would ever be. Seokjin didn't remember the last time he had to make a serious apology, a sincere apology if you will. He hadn't ever made anyone dissatisfied to that point, he had never before gone to such extremes. He supposed that the decision to choose his job over Namjoon was irrational and he didn't take any time to think about it. It wasn't because the decision was definite but because he didn't want to choose between love and stability.

Seokjin had learnt that it wasn't selfish or greedy to want both love and fortune; it was human. It was human to want things and it was human to be upset about not having them, within reason of course. However, love was not a toy, nor a flashy pair of shoes, love is a noun, a verb, a social construct. Love had a lot of titles that even the Guinness World Records could only hope to have so many.

He didn't know where to start, what to give, what to say. Seokjin never had to make an apology for fucking up as bad as he had before, he didn't know what to do.

'Do I give him flowers?' Seokjin asked himself, looking inside the windows of various shops as he strolled down the nearly empty street. A particular display caught his eye, simple, yet intriguing, he knew that Namjoon would love it. The flowers were red and white, the beautiful collection tied together with a green ribbon. Seokjin entered the shop the display was in, asking a worker nearby if it was for sale.

"Excuse me, is that bouquet for sale?" The employee nodded enthusiastically, taking it from the display and heading towards the cashier, Seokjin following behind at a respectful distance. He paid the amount on the price tag and thanked her, taking the bouquet and leaving briskly.

Seokjin glanced around him idly, he had never really gotten over the beauty of the city he lived in. The visuals were some of the prettiest he had seen; they reminded him strongly of Namjoon. Beautiful and pure, untampered with yet somehow still knowing of everything around them. Namjoon was perfect in Seokjin's eyes, and Seokjin was nothing without him.

"I have to do this..." Seokjin whispered, "Whether he forgives me or not."

He also missed Jimin, much to his own surprise, despite the two being mainly connected through Namjoon. Jimin was more relaxed version of Namjoon, he was Namjoon but mellowed down. What Seokjin liked about Jimin was that not only was he a tiny version of Namjoon, but he was also different in his own ways. Their interests were different but their habits were similar. Jimin was both louder and quieter at the same time, depending on the person. Namjoon wasn't too loud, but his laugh lit up the room, Seokjin knew that for sure.

Seokjin knocked on the door anxiously, heart in his throat. He wasn't even sure what he was going to say, he had nothing prepared except for the bouquet in his hands. He took a deep breath as he heard the doorknob click and twist, then the door opened.

Namjoon looked heartbreaking. His eyes were red around them, and he looked as if he had gotten no sleep at all. He looked thinner than usual and the usual light in his eyes was dulled, nearly gone but not quite. Seokjin's heart shattered when he saw the sight, mouth slightly ajar and eyes filling with tears. He had hurt Namjoon, him of all people, who was supposed to protect him, supposed to cherish him.

Namjoon silently took the flowers, still attempting to process the shock of Seokjin's presence. He looked like a mess; he was the human representation of the feeling regret. Namjoon placed them in a vase on the cabinet next to him, averting his eyes away from Seokjin as he did so. Seokjin gulped anxiously, he didn't know what to do, he didn't know what to say.

Seokjin opened his mouth to speak, then closed it, for he didn't know what to say nor how to apologise. Namjoon stepped forward, as did Seokjin, the eye contact between the two strong and loving as it had once been. Namjoon moved towards Seokjin and wrapped his arms around him, Seokjin immediately hugging him back. Seokjin buried his head in Namjoon's shoulder, biting his lip gently before speaking.

"I'm so sorry." Was the most he could muster, focusing on the warmth Namjoon radiated. Seokjin pulled away first, averting his eyes away from Namjoon guiltily, feeling the heat rush in his cheeks.

"I was irrational. I couldn't decide whether I valued love or stability more. He threatened to sue me if I didn't break up with you, he was going to fire me and sue the amount of every single paycheck and every single thing I've paid for in that company. I didn't have the money for it, and my ego was too high to want to crawl to you, so I ended it. In these past few days, I have found out something that I don't think I've ever had before. I didn't care for stability. I was miserable. I don't have any reason to stay there, I have no friends, I don't like the people, I only stayed because it got me a lot of money and I was good at it. I love you, and I love Jimin, I love being a part of this family and I was so happy when I was with you. A happiness I hadn't seen in many years. I didn't know just how lonely I was until I lost you, then it was back to same old same old. I was hurt, I was broken, and it was all of my fault. I'm so sorry for all I have done, and if you decide to not forgive me, I can't guarantee I'll be okay with it. But I will leave you alone, and I will attempt to move on. But if you do... I'll be the luckiest man alive."

By the time Seokjin finished what he was saying, Namjoon had wrapped his arms around Seokjin once more, this time bringing his lips to Seokjin's. Seokjin wrapped his arms around Namjoon and kissed back. He hadn't realised how much he had missed it, missed this, until that moment. Namjoon loved being in Seokjin's arms, he truly did.

Namjoon was the first to pull away, placing his hands on Seokjin's arms, but not pulling them away from his waist.

"I think we have a lot of hurdles we need to overcome, and I think there's a lot we must discuss, but first, let's just enjoy this moment. We are no longer a secret, nor a scandal, nor a pretence. We are Namjoon and Seokjin, alright? We are us; not whatever other people think of us to be. We are not a label; we are a relationship." Seokjin nodded in agreement.

"I think that sounds lovely." Jimin watched from the corner and he smiled softly, turning away from the couple and instead facing his screen which showed Jungkook's optimistic face.

"Did it work?" Jungkook whispered into the phone. Jimin nodded, glancing up at them once more before going back to the phone.

"Yes. They have a lot more to discuss, and a lot of hurdles to jump, but I think they can do it as long as they do it together." Jungkook made a noise of agreement, looking to the window and back to the screen hesitantly.

"My Dad's coming out of the car, I have to go. Love you Jiminie." Jungkook hung up, the video cutting off and returning to the app. Jimin sighed quietly and turned his phone off, deciding to watch the couple talk from afar instead.

Everything would be fine, Jimin knew that. If he was happy, and his dad was happy, and Seokjin was happy, then everything would be alright.  

Author's Note: This is the finale chapter! So the epilogue chapter will be uploaded soon, then that's the end of Rental Boyfriend. Thank you to all those who took this journey with me whilst the story was a work in progress. I love you all. <3