Chapter 13: Overworked and Underpaid

"Mister Kim? This is The Japanese Academy of Dance; can you please pick up your son?" Her tone was not emotionless, for if it was, Namjoon would've assumed all was fine. She sounded remorseful and sincere, she sounded apologetic, as if what to come would change his next few hours. Not nearly passionate enough to be revolutionary, but enough all the same.

Namjoon's hand trembled as he held the phone, and Seokjin, who was sitting with him on the bed, worriedly wrapped his arms around Namjoon's waist. Seokjin gently grabbed Namjoon's wrist and pulled it towards himself so he could put the phone on speaker. Namjoon nodded, as if to give Seokjin consent, and Seokjin spoke into the phone.

"Of course, what happened?" Seokjin's voice remained calm, but only Namjoon could see the worry in his eyes. The secretary said her next words not caring how worried the two were, her tone was sympathetic but the first half of her words said otherwise, a double-edged sword, if you must.

"Your son fainted during dance class today, we believe it's from exhaustion and sleep deprivation... we are extremely worried for him." Namjoon's heart dropped and he put a hand over his mouth, Seokjin picked up the phone for him. The lovers exchanged worried looks and Namjoon pushed himself further in Seokjin's arms gently. Seokjin rubbed his back soothingly, voice anxious as he spoke into the phone.

"Jimin fainted? Did he hit his head and do we need to call an ambulance?" Seokjin believed he had asked the right questions, judging by the curiosity and anxiety shaded on Namjoon's face. Seokjin placed his head on Namjoon's shoulder and held the phone in front of the him, massaging his hip comfortingly. Namjoon tried to smile back, but it looked more like a grimace than anything else.

"No, he did not hit his head Mister Kim and we don't believe it's necessary to call an ambulance." Namjoon nodded to himself, as if trying to comfort someone else, when in reality, the acknowledgement was meant for him and him alone. His eyes were downcast and his lips were pursed, his expression couldn't be anything other than horror, Seokjin observed.

"We'll pick him up now." Namjoon's voice trembled as he spoke, filled to the brim with anxiety. He then hung up, grabbing Seokjin's hand gently and standing up. Seokjin followed him to his beat up, admittedly beautiful blue car. They got in and Namjoon started the car, hands gripping the steering wheel tight enough to make his knuckles white. Seokjin placed a hand carefully on his thigh, gently stroking it for comfort. Namjoon didn't look up, he didn't need to, he knew Seokjin was there.

Once they arrived at the school, Seokjin had contemplated staying in the car, that he didn't need to be there, but after seeing Namjoon's crestfallen expression, ready to give up, he forgot about it entirely.

He held Namjoon's hand as they walked to the office, he reminded himself to be the stable one Namjoon needed. Seokjin, of course, was extremely worried for Jimin, 15 years old and already fainting from exhaustion, yet he was also worried about the man next to him. Namjoon and Jimin paralleled in so many ways it was scary, but this was one of the more horrifying ones on the list. Seokjin was just as worried as Namjoon was, yet he was able to channel that better, filter it differently.

Namjoon was shattered, Namjoon had so much going on in his mind that he dismissed everything else with little thought. 'I never noticed... nobody noticed. It was only when he passed out did someone notice that he was tired... only when he had reached his limit, I noticed. I should've prevented this, I should've known.' The same trail of thoughts cycled his head, all phrased differently, but their intentions were identical.

"Jimin's in the sickbay." He heard the secretary say. Namjoon hadn't even realised he had reached the office, either his body worked of its own accord or Seokjin had dragged him there, either way, he wasn't fixated onto it.

"Thank you." Seokjin saw the bright sign entailing the location: 'SICKBAY' it read. Seokjin guided Namjoon, as it was clear that Namjoon was focused on the thoughts running through his own head. They weren't going to stop anytime soon, that was clear.

As soon as Namjoon saw Jimin in the white clad room, the tears started falling and he rushed to Jimin, putting a hand on his pale cheek. Namjoon sat in the chair next to the bed, leaving Seokjin to stand at the doorway.

Jimin looked exhausted, the bags under his eyes were dark and emotionally war-torn, his face was pale with tiredness and lack of warmth. As soon as he saw Namjoon, his eyes lit up, however, he did not smile. When he saw Seokjin there with him, standing by the door, looking as scared as Namjoon, minus the tears, he smiled lightly before reaching for his glass of water. To Jimin, Seokjin's presence made it feel almost as if the three of them were a family. As if, Seokjin was there for the long run.

"Dad..." He didn't get to say anything more before Namjoon wrapped his arms around his waist tightly and place his head on his shoulder, exhaling shakily. He then looked up to Jimin, his head tilted to the side.

"Why didn't you tell anyone?" Namjoon asked shakily, Jimin smiling sadly before returning to an expressionless façade.

"I... I didn't know if anyone cared enough to do something about it. I don't know if you've noticed Dad, but you tend to overwork as well?" Namjoon felt as if he had been slapped in the face, as if someone had ducked his head into ice cold water.

"I'm sorry that you felt like you couldn't come to me." Was the most he could muster, trying to sound nonchalant, but his eyes betrayed him, refilling with tears and haunting his façade.

"I was going to say something to Seokjin, but I passed out before I could get there." Jimin stated, fidgeting with his fingers.

"Dad, I hate seeing you like this, you're so anxious, and scared, I don't like it..." Namjoon merely blinked, not knowing what else to respond with. Seokjin left the doorway, finally, and placed his hand on Namjoon's right shoulder.

"I think we should go home now, get some rest and water into you, alright?" Jimin nodded, Seokjin helping him out of the bed, as Jimin was still fragile. Seokjin guided both parent and child out of the room and to the car, Namjoon silently crying and Jimin's face gaining colour with each step he took.

The car ride back was tense, Seokjin didn't know what to call it. He and Namjoon were worried sick for Jimin, and Jimin was just trying to float through his troubles, but he was sinking. Seokjin was scared, he was scared for the three of them.

'Should I have waited?'

Author's Note: I know this is a bad chapter, I'm exhausted, and I'm uninspired for the most part. I'm planning some new stories for once these ones are finished, but I'm not connecting to them as much as I've attached myself to these ones. I feel guilty. I want to write stories I love. Not stories I feel obligated to write.