After School Sessions

I went back to class, but like usual, it was boring.  Me, stuck on him.  My mind was racing faster than he could ever go.  I was never called out, thankfully, but I still hate that I do this.  What if something important happens and I'm sitting here in a daydream?  I shouldn't be stressed over something this simple. 

     After classes, Tenya stopped me.

     "Y/n! Hey!" He called.

     "Oh, hey Tenya! What's shaking?" I asked. And I did little finger guns but we don't talk about that.

     "Uh, not much, actually.. heh," he chuckled, "I was wondering if you weren't doing anything later, if we could hang out?"

     Now when I say I blushed. I mean I blushed. He just asked me to hang out with him after school.  I mean, yeah, we've done it before, the picnic with Uraraka and Midorya, but this is us alone.

      "Um, I don't think I'm doing anything, so sure!" I gleamed. I really hope he didn't notice my blush.

     "Ok, good! I will see you there!" He said, starting to walk away.

     "Wait you never said where," I giggled.

     "Oh, um," he blushed, "I guess the park again? I could bring snacks if you'd like?"

      "Mhm, that sounds fine! I can bring something too!" I say.

     "Oh, ok then!" He said as he grabbed his bag. He didn't ask me to walk with him, but it's probably because he's just going home and to the park. I grab my bag and walk through the hall and saw Mei. I don't know why, but she looked... Gloomy? It felt weird. It kind of made me feel sick to my stomach. I wasn't sure if I should approach her or not, so I just walked a bit slower.  I said her name quietly, but loud enough she could hear.

     She didn't even turn around.  She just grabbed her bag and went to the restroom.

      "Oh haha.. guess it's just that time," I thought.

     I knew I shouldn't be joking, but it's just my way of coping with my worries.  I decided just to walk home.  If Mei was feeling sick, I probably shouldn't bother her.

     I got home quicker than usual.  My mom was sitting on the couch with my step-dad.  I said hello and explained where I was going. I grabbed some snacks, put them in my bag, and went on to the park.  I was pretty excited to meet with Tenya, but the sight of such a sad Mei was stuck in my head.  Had something happened that she needed to talk about? I have a bit of regret not stopping her. She's such an upbeat girl who has been there for me since the minute we met.  I tried to forget about it, it was Tenya time.

      I made it to the park and sat at the same place we were last time.  It was only a few minutes before I saw him.  He came over to me with his bag.  He had the same idea as me, putting snacks in the backpack. He sat down and smiled at me.

      "Hm, guess I'm late, huh?" He said with a slight chuckle.

     "I just got here a few minutes ago, so you're ok" I smiled.  The park was pretty empty; a few ducks here and there. There weren't even many bugs around.

     "It's pretty quiet, isn't it?" He said, adjusting his glasses.

     "Yeah, very," I said.

      He started to pull a few papers out of his bag.  I could see at the top, it had something to do with the sports festival.

     "What's that?" I asked.

     "Oh, it's just some planning things for the sports festival. It's kind of the reason I wanted to meet up," he said, "I know, it may sound boring, but I just want to make sure you can do your best!"

     Honestly, yeah, kinda bummed it was just a study session.  He did say he wanted me to do my best though, so maybe that's something.  Of course, I could have read his mind to see if that was it, but I didn't want to invade his privacy any more than I already had.

     "Sounds great!" I said. 

     We talked over things like quirks and such.  We discussed possible tactics and moves. Eventually, this got boring for the both of us, so we got out our snacks. He brought some juices and chips. I also brought chips, but I brought a different kind. We watched the ducks and basically had a good time. Only.. good though.

      "I'm gonna go to the restroom," I said. I know, I did that last time to get away, but where else could I go?

      "Ok, I'll be here waiting for you!" He smiled.  I walked away.

     I didn't know what I expected, but it wasn't quite this.  It felt... Awkward. Out of place, even.  Like this wasn't what was supposed to happen.  Maybe I just have high expectations for things.  I stayed for a minute and checked my phone.  No one was active on anything.  Mei crossed my mind again, but I didn't think about her too long. I ended up going back to Tenya. He had something to say as soon as I sat down.

     "You have a very bad habbit, y/n," he said. 

      "What do you mean?" I asked. I was worried he knew I was just trying to escape from the awkwardness again with the bathroom, but that wasn't it.

      "Your bag," he assured," you always leave it open. You never know what could get in there with it like that."

     Sure enough, it was as open. 

     "I guess I do have a bad habit," I giggled. I zipped the bag and sit it down beside me. 

     After that, we talked until it got late.  Nothing too big, just scattered topics.

     "I guess we should go home, huh?" I said, looking at the sun setting.

     "Yeah," he agreed, "we have school tomorrow."

     We got our things and walked each other home.  Again, no big topics. It wasn't long before I got home.  We waved goodbye to each other and I went in.

     I didn't see my mom when I went in, but I did see a note.

If you need me, call me. I'm at the grocery store. I love you - mom

     With that, I went to my room. I was tired and almost instantly fell asleep.  It wasn't very late though, maybe around 8:21, so I woke up a bit earlier than usual the next morning.