My Friend

────────────────────

Kakashi skimmed through the books that were neatly laid on the shelves. His sole eye traveled through the covers to find one that caught his attention. Sadly, there wasn't one that did. 

He sighed and was about to leave the book store until he saw a book─ navy blue spread across its cover and back, with only a simple title that was in white and written on the front. No pictures, no vibrant colors, nothing. 

"How a Shinobi should die." he tonelessly read out.

He took the book into his grasp and peered down to it before taking his leave to the cash register. He paid with the money he had and stared at it without sharing a glance with the employee.

"No one usually buys these books," the old man employee mentioned. "but I guess there actually is someone who took an interest into it after all." he let out a small chuckle, feeling Kakashi's sharp gaze make its way to his face. 

"It's not an interest, it's a guide."

The cashier stared at the Anbu who stood before him, his eyes narrowing at his words but before he could say anything else, two other figures began to approach them with large smiles. As they drew near, Asuma took a quick glance at the book Kakashi was holding and internally sighed, knowing exactly why it nipped his interest.

"She finished her share of the dumplings, she's ready to go home."

Sakura puffed her cheeks out and gave a single nod.

Patting Sakura's head, Asuma gave her a little pushed forward and Kakashi brought her in with one hand.

"Thanks, Asuma."

Asuma laced his fingers above his head and lazily looked at his friend. "Kurenai, Guy and myself would be happy if you needed someone to babysit her every now and then."

"Thanks, but I don't need help."

Sakura shook her head to Kakashi's blatant response and faced herself to the Sarutobi. "You're leaving a'ready?" she stared up at the man with saddened eyes but he chuckled.

"For now, yes.' he assured. "But I'll see you soon and don't worry, I'm sure Guy will come to see you more often than myself."

"'Kay!"

"We have to get going." Kakashi tonelessly said before leaving the bookstore with Sakura by his side and holding onto the end of his vest. 

She turned around to wave her goodbye to Asuma with a fresh smile, although when she turned around he was staring at her with an expression she was very familiar with; sympathy. 

She waved nonetheless and he quickly shook himself out of his thoughts and waved back with a hitched smile.

Once they were gone, Asuma dropped his shoulders forward and walked himself back to the dumpling shop.

──────────────────────────

"An' then we ate more while Guy-san tol' me more stories!"

"Good for you."

He held the book tight to his side as he listened to her attentively, but only for the reason that he had nothing better to do but that.

"Oh," Sakura's smile became rather shy "this is for you!" She held out the dango stick and his eyes slightly widened "Guy-san wanted me ta' bring you this!"

He stared at her briefly, scrutinizing her undying smile and took the Dango into hand with a straight face. 

"Will you take your mask off?"