Sinking heart

───────────────────

Reaching the Uchiha compound after running through worry, Sasuke regretted ever coming home. Or quite frankly, leaving home in the first place. He slowly walked in, holding his hands together as his fingers twitched from the scene that he'd witnessed. With each step he took, another body was revealed from the near distance. 

Blood was splat across the walls, the floors, and the bodies of his loved ones. 

"Oji-san?!" Sasuke's eyes bugged out as he walked his small and weak feet to a man he used to speak to almost everyday. He laid on the floor with his mouth left wide and blood pushing out of a wound in his chest and neck. "O-oji-san?"

Why was this happening? Why was everyone dead so suddenly? The Uchiha were meant to be strong Shinobi. 

Tears strung his eyes from the brutal massacre. People who cared for and vyce versa, each and every single one of them laid on the floor horrifically. 

Muffled screams, ones that didn't last for more than two seconds echoed through the thin air. Sasuke squeezed his eyes shut and felt his fears get the best of him. 

"Mother, father." he whispered. "Itachi!"

He bit his bottom lip and slapped his cheeks with his small hands. He couldn't let his fears take over, he needed to get to his family to make sure they were okay. 

───────────────────

Itachi slaughtered yet another, now standing in the midst of corpses. 

As he tried to navigate his last place to finally end the mission, he heard someone calling out to him. He slowly turned his head to the side to see a brunette running to him with utter fear. Her eyes glowed red and tears continuously fell from her precious eyes. Itachi's brow twitched, this was the last one. 

"Itachi-kun?!! W-what happened here?" Izumi held onto Itachi while crying into his shoulder.

Itachi dropped his sword, eyes widening from the sensation of her hot tears that stained his clothes. 

"I thought... Th-they killed you too. B-but I knew that you were strong a-and that they just couldn't.... not ever."

Pulling her away from himself, he held her shoulders. She quickly met eyes with him, but her pair widened when realizing his Sharingan was quite different from her's. His even had blood trickling down from them. 

He expected her to step back, but she didn't. "Itachi?"

Momentarily, Itachi thought of sparing her along with Sasuke. She was innocent─ she didn't have much of a say on the clan's coup matters and she'd just attended the meetings through obligation. But that was besides the point that in reality, Itachi wanted to spare her because he simply loved her. 

She was the light that he lacked at times. 

She pleaded to him, she wanted to get away from the district with him by his side so that they could escape together, but Itachi remained nonchalant to her words. Cheeks stained with tears, grabbing a hold of Itachi's hand and attempted to drag him out of the compound, but his body remained stock still. 

She met her worry eyes with his expressionless ones. "What's wrong? Is it Sasuke? Let's find him and leave."

He attempted to retrieve his sword, but simply couldn't. 

he tried retrieving his sword, but simply couldn't. It was unbecoming of himself to allow his emotions to get in the way. If he allowed her to live, what good would that do for anyone? Her parents were gone, her younger brother, gone, everyone else that was dear to her were gone. She had nothing but him left, and it'd be selfish to allow her to live in such a despairing life.