Empathy

────────────────────

The pinkette stared at the two adults who sat at the small dinning table. She waited for their reactions as they ate Sakura's special breakfast, she just couldn't be disappointed after all the work she'd put into her hard work.

"Sakura-chan," Kurenai beamed. "This is probably the best cereal I've ever had."

"It's just cereal, how good can it get?" Asuma asked yet immediately regretted it once his lover narrowed her eyes. "I'm kidding. It's great."

"You really think so?" Sakura inquired with wide eyes. They nodded in approval and Sakura threw her hands up in the air. "I'm so happy! Thank you!"

Kurenai and Asuma admired Sakura for waking up so early in the morning just to make them cereal─ she had a lot of promise, and it wasn't a bad thing yet. 

"Issa' nice day, can we─" stopping, Sakura's eyes widened in pleasure once again as the door was knocked upon. She sprinted to it, stumbling the entire way, but reached the door nonetheless after a large thud to the floor. 

The lovers scrutinized the young girl and her shaky limbs that brought her to perpetually trip over her own feet and fall, despite running such a short distance. 

Weird. 

Out of breath, she opened the door and her face lightened into a joyful expression instantly. "Kakashi-san!" She was about to hug him, but he held his hand out right to her face to stop her. She frowned, but soon understood that he didn't allow her because of his dirty clothes. 

He looked down and saw that one of her hands were wrapped in medical wrap. He stared at it a bit oddly, but decided to push the matter aside for now and ask the two adults later on. "You're that happy to see me?" he questioned genuinely.

Sakura nodded furiously as she crossed her arms. "Why dya' have such dirty clothes on?"

"Why do you have to question everything?" 

She frowned and he pat her head. She looked up into his eye and noticed that his gaze had softened towards her. "I'm finally back." he told her delicately.

Sakura giggled and moved to the side, allowing him to walk in and the moment he did, he was greeted by Kurenai and Asuma.

He noticed the cereal and narrowed his sole eye to it. "You guys can go if you want."

He removed his shoes and sakura closed the front door. She skipped her way towards the table and when reaching there, she faced herself to Kakashi. "We had lots a' fun!"

"That's... good." his lips almost curved upwards, until he stopped himself and glanced up to his comrades. 

"You're one complicated man, Kakashi." Kurenai voiced. 

The masked man slowly made his way to his couch and sat down, Sakura walking close behind him and doing the same right beside him. She missed him so much, she wanted to be with him as much as possible. 

He noticed she was following him around, but quite frankly, didn't mind it.

Kurenai crossed her arms above her chest and sighed. "You made Sakura stay in your care for a month and couldn't even think of buying her a book? Crayons? A sketch book? Anything?" 

"She's right, she needs something to do so we bought her a book to read." Asuma added. 

Kakashi removed his hitai-ate and placed it beside himself silently, his left eye was closed but as Sakura stared at him, she put forth her most effort to push away the image she received the day before. If she remembered correctly, the mysterious man's right eye was similar to Kakashi's left eye─ both carrying a blood-dyed red with black sinister markings on them.