She Had No Family to Begin With

────────────────────

Sakura sat there silently, holding her knees close to her chest and attempting to control her breathing. She just couldn't open herself up right now, not when she felt the most unsafe she's ever felt.

Kakashi was gone for awhile now, and she figured he was the one whose footsteps she heard outside the bedroom door that seemed to be approaching. Green eyes darted towards the door, but just as her top and bottom lip separated from each other, two figures made their way into her room. 

Kakashi was none of the two. 

Her limbs stiffened when noticing the second person who came in, since she knew them. Although what she didn't know until now was that he was associated with Tobi.

Itachi stared at her with regretful eyes. With just one glance he could see how broken she was, which only made him feel even more shameful. 

"Now then, Kakashi isn't here to stop me."

As the masked man began to approach her, Itachi put his hand in front of him which made Tobi scoff.

If there wasn't anything he could do to save his brother, then he'd save Sakura.

"Killing her now won't do anything." Itachi informed. "Let her live."

Tobi grit his teeth under his mask, he hated being told what to do.

Ruby eyes clashed in emerald, locking the distance between them and allowing their sorrow to reach one another. A small gasp escaped Sakura's lips, but Itachi shook his head. 

"Not now, Sakura." he whispered in guilt.

Tobi internally sighed and knew that the time he had to kill Sakura was now gone because of Itachi. It couldn't be helped now, especially since Kakashi ought to be here any moment. 

"You got lucky today but tomorrow will begin a path of despair." Tobi's voice brought chills to run down Sakura's spine. "If you choose to die, I will gladly be the one to make it happen. And I'm sure that one day, you will feel this way."

"He's coming." Itachi said.

Tobi locked eyes with Sakura for a moment, pressing his lips into a thin line as he thought about something in particular that one day ought to make Sakura hate him more than she already did. 

"Goodbye, for now."

With that, Tobi and Itachi disappeared but just before they did so, Itachi and Sakura met gazes once again. This time, just like every other time they met eyes, they spoke to one another without actually uttering a single word. 

Sakura knew this was going to be the last time she saw him, but just before he left, he gave her a stare she'd never forget. Never. 

Ruby eyes that said 'take care of yourself' was the last bit of communication they had before the duo diminished into thin air. 

Sakura sat there in silence as she thought over the thought of no longer seeing Itachi again.

────────────────────

Kakashi stood before his front door and opened it regretfully. It was silent and cold. With Sasuke still in his arms, he made his way to his bedroom where Sakura was and still in the same position as before, except now she wasn't crying and her eyes were just blankly distant. 

He recognized that look, because that was the one he had when he was her age.

"Sakura." he called out.