Turn Back

────────────────────

Kakashi closed his front door just as he let out an exasperated sigh. He knew this was going to happen, but when he thought of it beforehand, he didn't necessarily think of what to tell Shizune when it did. 

He dragged his feet across his wooden floors and headed towards his couch, plopping down onto it and eyeing the young girl who skipped out of the bedroom with a book in hand. 

"Where did Shizune-san go?" Sakura inquired thoughtfully.

Kakashi ran his fingers through his silver locks in agony. "She left."

Sakura blinked. "Left?"

"Yes."

She wanted to question him, but as he closed his sole eye and leaned his head up against the fist of his right hand, she figured it wasn't right to do so. 

Shizune hadn't even bid her goodbye before leaving.

────────────────────

Raven hair swayed with the calm wind, eyes roaming over the cement floors as she headed back to her hotel. All she could think about was Kakashi. No matter how much she hated it, no matter who she was with or where she was, she still thought about the very man who didn't think twice to look back at her. It sickened her when realizing that he was so far away from her, to the point where if she were to ever extend her hand to him again, he wouldn't even be able to graze his fingers over hers.

Silence filled the air. Kakashi leaned himself against his front door while Shizune silently mustered up the courage to speak with him.

"What is it?" he could sense the intensity in her bones.

"Inoichi told me about your illness." she mumbled.

His brow twitched. 

"But you declined every form of help he offered you? Kakashi, I want you to know that this isn't okay." she looked up from the floor and pressed her lips into a thin line. "You need help and Inoichi is willing to give it to you right now. He wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't needed. Not only that, but you've been diagnosed with Chronic PTSD.... That's something you need to care about." she sighed when she was given no response from him. "I'm just.... trying to help you."

She brought herself closer to him, to the point where it somewhat made him uncomfortable. Her cheeks flushed red and his own cheeks felt a little heated. She slowly wrapped her arms around him and rested her forehead on his shoulder. 

"I just want to help you, Kakashi. Why can't you just take the help?." she whispered out.

For a second, his sole eye softened. But her last words brought his gaze to harden once again. "Because I have more important things to worry about."

The already cold air that signified the arrival of winter gushed against their skins, yet his words were sharper than the crisp air itself. Almost like a senbon piercing through a block of ice.

Her brows furrowed as she pushed him away from herself. "Why? What's more important than your happiness, Kakashi?! Why can't you see that you need help and it should be your first and only priority?!"

"I have better things to worry about than to play 'victim'." he retorted.

"That's so twisted!"