Sunrise

A/N: This chapter references 'Sakura Hiden: Thoughts of Love, Riding Upon A Spring Breeze'.

Over two years had passed since Sasuke had left the village. On his travels he had accomplished his desire to cleanse the taint of his own name as well as bring new meaning to the name 'Uchiha' through helping out other travellers, villagers and townsmen - whether he came across them or he was informed of their whereabouts by Konoha. He had also trained profusely so that he had the ability to wield his katana with one hand, as well as form a jutsu with his only hand - an act belonging to only the most elite shinobi. 

Sasuke saw the beauty of life everywhere he went. He saw it in the buds of flowers, the cawing of hawks and the clear streams of water. And the days he had felt overwhelmed with loneliness, he thought of what was waiting for him at home, and imagined how the pink tresses would feel under his fingertips. Six months after the bizarre moon incident, he had heard wild rumours about himself which he did not concern himself with. It was only when he had heard that his pink beauty was being held captive that he teleported to rescue her, but he needn't worried; she had saved herself with her enormous strength and had pieced together how a group of the Anbu had created a 'fake Sasuke' to lure him out and create a drug of the Sharingan to sell. After hearing that Sakura was safe, Sasuke defeated the Anbu that had found him with his Amatarsu, and continued on with his journey of redemption. 

A month ago he had received word from Naruto. In his note sent by one of Sasuke's hawk, he had mentioned a conversation with Sakura where she likened Sasuke's recent actions to that of the Leaf Police Force. The Leaf Police Force was an organisation run by the Uchiha in Sasuke's childhood; it had been his dream to work alongside his father as a young boy. Sakura's words ran deep and tears gleamed in Sasuke's eyes. He decided it was time to return home. Sasuke decided to take the long way home, which would take a month. 

Two weeks later he had received another note from Naruto detailing events of his wedding to the Hyuuga girl. It was typical of the blonde knucklehead to leave such important information out in the first letter, two weeks prior. Sasuke had been contemplating whether to actually attend the wedding or not. His sudden appearance may sway the attention from the bride and groom and may be directed at the Uchiha himself; instead, Sasuke decided he would stay on the outskirts of the village and protect Konoha whilst the village celebrated their beloved hero's special day. 

Today was the day of the wedding. March 28th. A date Sasuke could not forget: Sakura's birthday. He was close enough to the village to be able to send his messenger hawk and for the hawk to return within an hour. Sasuke brought out a blank brown parchment from his satchel and placed it on a rock. He sat beside the paper and held a corner down with a kunai. He brought out a brush and a pot of ink and stared at the paper wondering what to write. Sasuke was never one to express his feelings with words - that was Naruto's way. Sasuke preferred action, even the most subtle gestures such as a finger poke could speak a million words. Sasuke brought brush to meet paper and wrote, 'Happy Birthday Sakura. I'm sorry I can't be there with you. Send my wishes to Naruto and Hinata'. 

Sasuke looked at the words and cringed. He feared for who may lay eyes on the note and be able to read Sasuke's heart in an instant. Instead, Sasuke crumpled up the paper and started anew. This time he wrote a simple, 'Congratulations' intending for both Sakura and Naruto, and handed it to his hawk to do the rest of his bidding.

***

The daylight had slimmed to a white glow, and the clouds had started to loom over the setting sun. Sasuke set afoot into the village and could hear the drunken laughter wafting towards his ears. NIght had finally fallen and the impregnated clouds celebrated the marriage with a shower of tears. Sasuke knew better than to intrude on newly weds, and found his feet walking down a road that led to a house he had seldom visited as a young genin

Sasuke knocked on the door and was soon met with a gasp. 

"Could it be? Is it really you?" Sakura's mother's hands found her face as she gaped up at him. 

"Who is it, dear?" Boomed a male voice  from another room. 

"Oh where are my manners. I'm Sakura's mother, Mebuki. Please do come in-"

The male figure emerged at the doorstep. 

"Oh if it isn't our son-in-law!"

"Kizashi!"

"What?" Kizashi, Sakura's father from whom Sakura had inherited her pink hair, feigned innocence. "If you're looking for our daughter, she doesn't live here anymore. You'll find her at the apartments near the Konoha hospital. Her flat is on the ground floor, door number 5". Kizashi winked at Sasuke. 

Sasuke had kept his emotions reserved and face free from any expressions. "Thank you, Mr and Mrs Haruno." And he turned to leave in the pouring rain. 

Sasuke appeared at her front door with his hair soaked, water dripping onto his face like the tears of two long lost lovers. Before he could even place his knuckles on the brown wood, the door swung open like a shuriken being hurled. His mismatched eyes were reflected in two green pools, and a gaping mouth. The next thing he noticed was her shortened hair. His heart fluttered. It was as if two parallel worlds had finally collided and had given birth to paradise. 

"I'm home, Sakura."

After recovering from her shock, she welcomed him in and they listened intently to each other; treasuring every single word. He told her of his travels, and she told him of her opening the children's hospital focusing on mental health, and how she was inspired by both Naruto and himself. He admired her for it all and in that moment it became apparent what the rapid beating of his heart had been whispering to him. He looked at her strong, tender arms; her finely shaped face;  and her broad forehead waiting for him to kiss the purple  diamond seated in the middle. He was in love. 

They continued to exchange stories until the sunrise. 

A/N: Another Taylor Swift song which reminded me of SasuSaku, and how I imagine Sasuke and Sakura got togther.