Illuminate

A/N: I don't know why, but I found this chapter difficult to write. Also, there's a certain dialogue that was inspired by fan art. 

Thank you for the votes and lovely comments, I'm a sucker for them. 

The clouds billowed softly across the sea blue sky, and the leaves danced to the rhythm of the sweet songs that were sung by the footsteps of a husband and wife as they walked a path that was clear to them, their hands intertwined. A pretty blush rose on the cheeks of the woman as she let out a soft, content sigh. "I really missed this, Sasuke," she admitted in a hushed whisper, as they traded secrets beneath the warm daylight. "Just us, together. Enjoying what life has to offer. I've missed you, terribly so." 

He looked down at his wife who was holding her smiles and emotions close to her heart, somewhere where only he had the privilege to access. "Ah, I've missed it too," he offered, softly. His thumb grazed her knuckles before squeezing her hand three times. Each squeeze represented a different word. A secret. An expression that only she could understand: I love you.

He watched in satisfaction as she stole a look at him with a side-glance and then looked back towards the path before them, biting her lip. Through the course of the next two minutes, he noticed her stealing glances at him numerous amounts of time. Eventually her actions piqued his interest and he asked, "What's with you?"

"Hm? O-oh, it's nothing..." she mumbled, licking her lips shyly as she desperately tried to not make eye contact. 

He rose a brow at her meekness. "You weren't this shy when you were punching Shin into a bloody pulp," he smirked at her. 

"Well, you weren't this expressive when you were facing him off, either," she retorted back, harsher than she meant to. 

Sasuke narrowed his eyes at this and stopped walking to ask, "Are you mad at me for that?" Knowing full well his daughter was hardly amused at his cold front.

Sakura's footsteps dwindled to a stop too and she turned to face her husband, rubbing her right arm behind her back with her left. "No, I..." She dug her toe into the ground and twisted her lips as she searched for the confidence to speak her mind. "It's nothing to do with that... It's just... Well... how do I put this?" Sasuke was growing impatient by the minute. "You-you've just became more handsome, Sasuke-kun," she whispered shyly. 

Sasuke let out an amused huff of air through his nose. He brought his hand close to her and tucked a few strands of hair behind her ear. "As you have, my wife.  You..." Your beauty entrances me. She seemed to have gotten his meaning as she suddenly flung her arms around his neck and squirmed in delight. Sasuke held her waist and fought to push her off him. 

"Sakura," he urged. "If we're not careful, we'll be late in catching up with Naruto. If it was any other time, you'd know I'd happily oblige to another round, but..."

Sakura dragged herself off of him and straightened her bodice. "A-ah. You're right. Sorry. I just got a bit excited. Do you need a hand in using your susano again? It'll be much faster." 

Sasuke complied, and husband and wife travelled together within a purple chasm once again. 

"It's funny," Sakura said after half an hour of flying. "I remember us going this fast for Sarada's sake before," she chuckled at the memory. "Only, Karin was there with us back then. Gosh, it was so stressful." 

The mention of Karin ignited something in Sasuke. He looked at his wife and wondered whether he should tell her, in the end he thought it was best to not keep any more secrets from her. "Sakura..." he started. "You should know. Sarada found the old Team Taka photo-"