Sunlight Pt.2

The midday sun loomed high above them as the crowd of leaves chattered amongst themselves amidst the wind. There wasn't a speck of white in sight amongst the clear blue sky. The Uchiha family swam beneath the vast ocean of the blanket that hung above them, nodding and smiling at civilians who gawked at them as they made their way to Sasuke's in-laws. Sasuke had been weighing how he would approach them - wonder what their reaction would be as they knew of his sins of having abandoned their precious daughter. Had the knowledge of a granddaughter fuelled their anger, proof that he had done more than abandon Sakura, but also break a sacred promise? Would they overlook the disrespect and heartache he had caused by accepting their new additions to their family? He wasn't sure. But he had faith that the gleam in his child's eye would be enough to win them over, and so he welcomed the sunlight that kissed his raven hair. 

They stood on a road lined with houses, as if they were touching shoulder to shoulder. Sakura inhaled before knocking on the door. The whispers on the road passed by behind them before the door creaked open. A burly man with dusty pink hair grinned at them, a complete contrast to his blonde wife who was wearing a scowl. Kizashi stood a few inches shorter than Sasuke, but he paraded them in with the confidence of a giant. 

Once inside the living room, Mebuki gave her daughter a piece of her mind. 

"Sakura!", Mebuki scolded. "Is this how you greet your parents? You just leave everything behind one night, are gone for almost a year, and then I have to hear from the HOKAGE that you're MARRIED?! This is not how I raised you! Not even a single letter! Do you know how WORRIED we were?" 

Kizashi put a hand on her shoulder, and attempted to calm her down. "Now, Mebuki. She's here now, isn't she? And with a little gem as well." Kizashi let go of his angered wife and strolled over towards his son-in-law and grinned down at Sarada who was resting in Sasuke's arm. "She's a real beauty. Definitely gets her looks from her grandpa." He winked at Sasuke. 

Mebuki's jaw tightened. "THAT is a surprise. Why did I have to hear from Ino that I had a granddaughter? Seriously, Sakura. Maybe now that you have a child of your own you'll stop this foolish obsession over your beloved 'Sasuke-kun' and start acting like a responsible adult." 

Sakura glanced at Sasuke with a look that could only have meant an apology on her parent's behalf. "Mum, I'm sorry about all that," Sakura apologised half-heartedly, turning towards her mother again. "But if you're not going to look after Sarada, then I'm afraid we'll have to find someone else last minute-"

"That won't be necessary," Mebuki cut her off. Mebuki took three strides towards Sasuke and disentangled Sarada from her father. "She is my blood after all..." Her anger subsided and in its place contentment appeared, as she lowered her voice. "And I'm happy you both have decided to settle down. I just wish I could have been at my only child's wedding. But all that doesn't matter now. You're together and safe."

Sasuke smiled at Sakura.  He turned back to his in-laws and slightly bowed his head. "Thank you both, and I'm sorry for all I've done." 

Kizashi slapped Sasuke on the back and guffawed. "Don't worry about it, son. You brought our deranged daughter home and gave us even more." He continued to bark out laughter. The corner of Sasuke's lips curled upwards slightly as he closed his eyes, forming invisible bonds with his family. 

Sasuke pretended to listen to Kizashi's lame jokes and bad puns as Sakura placed the bag of essentials at the foot of the sofa, explaining to her mother when Sarada's next feed should be. They left and made their way towards Ichiraku. Sakura nudged Sasuke with her left shoulder. 

"Hm?"

"What did you make of that?" She asked, an eyebrow raised. 

"It didn't go that bad."