Afterglow Pt.2

A/N: After I made this AMV I've had this idea in my head for soooo long to write this chapter! Also thank you to all those who have been voting! Don't forget to leave a comment. :)

From the soiled ground, born out of tears and the sweltering heat are flowers that bloom firstly in ones and twos, and then a whole village of colourful petals before they dance to the merry tune of the wind. Their fragrance and pollen travel across the vast lands, and even through lifetimes. Just like a folk song, the love of flowers is passed on from generation to generation. A raven-haired young girl is plucking out some of these flowers as she spends her time with her Auntie Ino and a boy of her own age, Inojin. She carefully arranges them and uses her aunt's extensive knowledge of flowers to create two bouquets: one for her Mama, and the other for her Papa. Her smile lights the world up, and casts a heavenly glow upon the flowers she has just plucked. It is a hot day in May.

Across the village, her father returns from his mission, but alas he has not come bearing gifts. Rather, his heart is heavy full of broken glass that he carries along with him - the shards cutting him in ways that his enemies could never. He sits on the burgundy couch as he waits for his wife to finish her shift. Minutes stretch out into hours, and his forlorn face stretches even further, his eyes downcast as he struggles to capture the words necessary he would need to drop onto his wife. He captures his shattered face into his hand, and the unspoken words come falling down from him like a waterfall. And that was how she found him.

"Sasuke-kun?" She came rushing over to him and knelt in front of him. "Sasuke-kun, what's wrong? Look at me. Talk to me." Her words were soft but desperate. "Let me help you. Please."

Her arms cradle his fragile frame as she picks herself up and allows her husband to fall into her. His arm wraps around her waist, and she can feel the front of her dress becoming damp. "Sasuke..." she whispers.

He rasps into her stomach, "Where's Sarada?"

She looks down at him, "She's with Ino. I was going to pick her up after a shower, but..."

"Don't."

"Okay, I won't," she agrees. "But please, Sasuke..."

He looks up at her, and his eye is red, but his sharingan hasn't been activated. He lets go of her waist and gulps. He pats the space next to him, and she understands. She takes her place by his side. There is concern written all over her face, and he knows she only wants the best for him. For them. But...

"Sakura," he finally says. "I need to talk to you..."

She intertwines her hand with his and she beckons him, "Tell me."

He forces himself to look at her innocent green eyes that only exude love and purity, that whispers to his soul I will always be here for you. His own eyes, he knows, are only filled with a dark mystery that is eating away at him, consuming him until it hurts her too - it is worse than any curse mark.

He licks his lips as he tries to form the words inside his heart, "I... It's too much," he whispers at her.

"What is?" she whispers back, her brows furrowed, trying to understand where all this has come from.

"I... I can't do this anymore... Sarada, she... I can't hurt her anymore..." He feels her hand grip his tighter and there is something flickering in her eyes. What is it? Rage? Fear?

"Sasuke-"

"Listen to me, Sakura," he begs. "I can't bear to stand the amount of pain I put her through. She's so young, and I don't want to hurt her. I don't want her to feel anymore pain. I need it to stop. I can't let her go through it..." Her grip tightens, and just that is a whole conversation on its own.