Nightfall

A/N: Sasuke's deep in his feels.

Across the lands, rain or shine, the people of the earth would bathe in the sun's glory and drink in its illuminating glow. Mothers, fathers and children alike would share each other's laughter and happiness in the afterglow of the sunlight, and bask in the heavenly shimmer of the moonlight. The stars would guide a traveller on their way, allowing them to follow its light that paved a way for them, and in doing so, the said traveller would find comfort in the knowledge that their loved ones were safe beneath the blanket of the same sky. And it was like this that the days and nights of Sasuke Uchiha would pass: with longing and a desperation of hope. 

It was nightfall, and almost two years since he had left the mother of his child with tears streaking down his own face, as he wished she would be strong where he could not. In his eyes, she was the stronger of the two, whether that was emotionally or physically; she could move mountains and heal hearts and broken souls as well as she could heal torn limbs and crack boulders. She was a magnificent healer, where he was a tragic destroyer - in another world, their fate may have been a story of two tragic lovers where their paths barely collided as they were polar opposites: a story of an angel and a demon. That was the alternate story of Sasuke and Sakura. A story where each touch he received from her cast him in an illuminating light, almost blinding him to the point where he believed that in order to not stray from what he believed awaited in his fate, he needed to delve further into the darkness, where no light would reach him. However, after centuries of turmoil and heartbreak and severing bonds with past relations, another light found him, and brought him home to his Sakura. No matter which way he looked at it, Sakura would always be his home; his safe haven. 

Sasuke sat before his self-made furnace out in the wilderness, and recalled with his sharingan the letters him and his wife had been conversing through for the last few months: 

My dear Sasuke-kun, 

It's been a while since I've heard from you. How have you been? Sarada and I were at the market stalls the other day when I stopped by a tomato stall out of habit. Sarada asked me why I always seem to have a forlorn expression when I am deciding which tomatoes are the ripest to buy, when the market lady answered for me. She told Sarada, "Your father used to be my number one regular customer back in the day. He would buy a few choice tomatoes before going across to buy some flowers which you picked out for your gorgeous mother. Do you know when he'll be returning?" 

I'm not sure how Sarada took that, but she didn't speak much for the rest of the day. Sometimes I find it hard to read her emotions. But on the plus side, it's good to know that the people of our village don't hold animosity towards you, don't you agree, darling?

Stay safe. 

Forever yours, 

Sakura. 

Sakura,

I am sorry I haven't been writing much. I've been travelling almost daily from one town to the next. 

If the mention of me upsets her that much, then it may be best that you try to avoid the topic where you can. 

Thank you. 

Sasuke.

~

My beloved, 

I try my best to fill your absence with my presence, but I fear Sarada misses you more than she lets on. It's even harder to ensure that she knows she is loved by both her parents when you no longer want me to share stories of how you have loved her, and how you still love her from afar in your own way.