5

"Now, Nicky and I met at an event that I was allowed to attend to-"

"Gigi, why can't we just talk about you and grandpa?"

I sighed looking at Hazel before smiling softly, "Everything that I am telling you plays an important role in my relationship with your papa, now, let me tell you about how I met Nick."

•••

4 years ago

The BBC was hosting an event and somehow I managed to be invited, I had a few student productions out at this time and this event would have a lot of amateur artists attending. I had only been in London 4 days and I loved everything about it. August was warm with sunny weather and I knew in only a matter of weeks I would be bracing myself for the English winter.

I've always been obsessed with the UK, I mean, The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, all of the music I grew up listening to. Not to mention Adele, Ed Sheeran, even One Direction. England was rich in history, especially music history. I love music, always have been a big fan. I considered production at one point or pursuing my own solo career but something always brought me back to film.

I've even sold my own songs before, I use an alias of course. Stella, that's my alias. I've just always loved that name so I figured that would the name I used when I sold my music. It was kind of like a hidden secret, no one knew I sold songs. I didn't really like attention and I felt like if people knew I wrote a song that went number 1 for six consecutive weeks it would be awkward.

Anyway, I found the perfect dress for tonight and went with a natural makeup look. I preferred elegance with a bit of risk, but not a lot.

I was excited about tonight, I'd always wanted to attend an event

I was excited about tonight, I'd always wanted to attend an event. The only bad part about being in London was that I had no friends, I had classmates who be in attendance with me tonight but I would hardly call them friends

As I made my way through the crowded event and networked as best as I could I needed a drink. Having to be so, on, all the time was exhausting. But, I was simultaneously having a great time because I was surrounded by people in the industry that I admired and wanted to collaborate with.

"Hi, I'll have a sex on the beach," I smiled politely at the bartender.

"An American!" The man next to me shouted, I immediately recognized him at Nick Grimshaw, his breakfast show has been my favorite thing for quite a while.

"Hi," I laughed at his enthusiasm and stuck my hand out. "Georgie Lane."

"Nick Grimshaw, love. What brings you to an event like this?"

"Well, I just moved here, I'll be here for a year before going back to Uni. I'm studying film, want to work in documentaries, a few classmates and I were selected to come to this event."

"Sounds quite interesting, tell me, how do you like it?" He motioned to everything and I hesitated, do I tell the truth? If you say the wrong things to the wrong people then you're done in this business before you begin. I hesitated and looked in his eyes, he seemed trustworthy, there was just something about him.

"Well, I love being able to meet and network with so many people," I smiled pausing, just be honest. "But, these events are a bit much," I said quietly making Nick's eyes light up.

"I'm so glad you said that, too many people pretend to love these events, it's quite fake honestly."

This was all it took for Nick and I to become attached at the hip. We stayed at the bar the remainder of the evening drinking plenty and making up stories about everyone around us. Nick was a great laugh and I even gushed about how much I loved his show and Greg James. He thanked me telling me he'd introduce me to Greg one day.

Nick and I began our friendship that night and have been close ever since.

•••
Present day [in her retelling of the story]

When I called Nick three days after Harry and I had dinner he was so happy. He told me he was having friends over at his house and there were some people he wanted me to meet.

"Nicky!" I yelled in excitement as my best friend answered the door. "Oh my gosh, I have missed you! Tell me everything, how have you been? Also, I love this new house, so posh," I said laughing squeezing him tighter.

"Darling, you get more gorgeous every time I see you, love. Now, I want to hear about you, I want to know how New York has been since the last time I visited! Thank you about the house, it took forever to unpack but you know me," he said flippantly waving his hands. "Did I tell you about BBC? I'm doing the after work show, which reminds me, Greg wants to meet up. Now, he couldn't come tonight but he wants you on the show," Nicky said making my mouth drop in shock. Nicky laughed and wrapped an arm around me bringing me into his house more. "I told you countless times he wants you on the show, you have a natural lovableness about you and your bloody hilarious."

"Isn't Greg doing the morning show?" I asked as we walked into the kitchen. My eyes were on Nick the whole time as we continued to talk not paying attention to who would be around. "Because if you think for one second I'm waking up at 5 AM to make Greg James laugh your fucking crazy," I said making us both laugh before seeing who was in the kitchen.

It shouldn't have surprised me that Harry would be at the house, I mean I knew he had been on Nicky's show but I didn't realize they were this close.

"Oh, Harry this is-" Nick began before Harry cut him off.

"Georgie," he said with a smile and soft eyes.

"Harry, hey, what a surprise." I laughed.

"You two know each other?" Nick asked with a confused look.

"I'm the documentarist for Harry's Behind the Album, it's why I'm in London," I smiled at Nick.

Nick's eyes wavering between us almost like he knew something I didn't and I was so confused. I turned to look at Harry who was giving a soft glare at Nick and it only made me more confused.

"How funny, well it's great that you two know each other now," Nick said walking to the fridge grabbing a wine cooler for me.

"Thank you," I smiled opening the can.

•••

"So, why was Nick looking between you & papa so much?"

"Well, that would spoil the next part of the story. You're very impatient, love," I laughed looking at Hazel who was desperate for me to continue. "But, I didn't learn about why he looked at us like that for a while so you'll have to wait, darling."