Chapter 13

All the aliens flew off of me, and I scrambled to my feet. New hope and determination swelled in my chest as I saw an ax pulsing with lightning ricocheting off the Outriders. A bright column of light was in the center of the field, streaks of color in it like the BiFrost. The light faded away to reveal Thor, a tree, a blue lady, and a raccoon, the ax flying back to Thor's hand. A grin spread across my face as I looked at Thor, who was teeming with lightning.

"Ah-ha! You guys are so screwed now!" Banner yelled, retracting the top of the Hulk-buster armor. "Bring me Thanos!" Thor ran straight at the onslaught of Outriders. He lept into the air, filling it with lightning, and brought the ax down into the ground. Lightning surged through the ground, killing a good chunk of the Outriders. The tables quickly turned as we flung ourselves back into battle.

 Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bucky holding the raccoon while they spun in a circle, killing the Outriders. I managed to make my way over to near Thor, ducking as an Outrider flew by my head. "New haircut?" Steve asked him. "Noticed you've copied my beard," Thor said. The tree shot a sharp branch through three of the Outriders.

 "Oh, by the way, this is a friend of mine, Tree," Thor gestured towards the tree. "I am Groot!" Groot said. "I am Steve Rogers," Steve said, and I shook my head. "Where have you been?" I asked Thor, flinging a knife towards an Outrider. "I was getting a new ax," He said, sending lightning towards a few more.

 "Is it a good ax?" I asked. "So far, yes," He said. "Your brother's not joining us, is he?" I asked, firing a bullet into an Outrider's head. I glanced over, and his face said it all. I knew it was no time to mourn, squashing the overwhelming grief swelling in my chest.

Outside the dome, trees were falling and the ground was bulging. "What the hell?" I muttered. Saw-like things came out of the ground, rolling towards us. "Fall back! Fall back now!" T'Challa yelled. I booked it as the saws split up, rolling across the field and mowing down our troops.

I ended up near Okoye and Natasha, and oh, dear god. One of the saw rollers was coming straight towards us. We braced ourselves, but it never came. I looked up to see Wanda, using her powers to hold the saws back. She flung them to either side, taking out the surrounding Outriders.

"Why was she up there all this time?" Okoye asked, nodding towards Wanda. "Guys, we've got a Vision situation," Sam reported. "Somebody get to Vision!" Steve shouted into the coms. "I got him!" Bruce soared above our heads towards the woods where Vision was. "On my way!" Wanda was about to go, but she was hit on the side of the head by Proxima Midnight.

"He'll die alone, as will you," She sneered. "She's not alone," Natasha said, and Midnight turned towards us. I readied a knife, while Okoye readies her spear. Midnight beats down on Natasha with her sword, Natasha blocking the hits with her electric batons. Okoye flung her spear at Midnight, sinking it into her shoulder.

I stabbed her in the stomach, pushing it as deep as I could. Midnight flung me off her and swung at Natasha. Wanda used her powers, and flung her up into the path of an incoming saw, splitting her in half. "That was really gross," Natasha said from her spot on the ground. I had a bit of Midnight's blood on my face, and it stood out against all the red.

"You look like you've been through hell," Natasha nodded towards me. I sent her a weak smile, wiping blood off my face. Today had extracted a heavy toll. I could only hope the death count wouldn't rise. It really did feel like the world was ending.

 "A race of howling superhuman slayers will do that to you,"