Chapter 34

"Oh, you're okay," Steve embraced Rhett as he stood up, stroking his hair slightly. Isa flexed her wings, whimpering as pain stabbed through one.

"Hey, you okay?" Misha asked quietly, and Isa shook her head. "Here, let me see," Isa turned around, revealing a matted mess of blood and feathers, one of the wings at an unnatural angle. "It's broken. There's also a cut, but I can't see it through all these feathers," Misha hissed, trying to find the wound without touching her.

Everyone's wrists were bound--Asya had only been able to free them from the wall before exhaustion threatened to take over. Peter, Misha, Bruce, and Gia all were able to snap their cuffs since they were made of normal metal. Bucky used his metal arm to snap all the other restraints, and everyone rubbed their raw wrists.

"What now?" Tom asked, voicing the question on everyone's mind.

"We find Tanya and we get out of here," Steve said.

"Are we sure that's the best idea? I mean, she is a killer," Rue pointed out from her spot on the floor.

"So are you. That didn't stop us from coming to get you," Fury snapped, and she shrugged in response.

"Touché," she admitted.

"Here, come on, get up," Asya made a wheelchair from the air, helping Rue into it.

"Anyone see my leg?" Gia asked, leaning against the wall. Barnes tossed it over, and she caught it, latching it on.

"So, who wants to go fetch the robot?" Rue asked, rolling away from the wall.

"I'll go," Steve volunteered.

"I'll go too," Sam said, and the two left the others to work on getting back to Earth. "Do you really think she's crazy?" Sam asked as they walked.

"Of course not. She's just got a few issues," Steve defended.

"She killed her mom in cold blood. I'd say she's got more than a few," Sam pointed out.

"She's being brainwashed. It wasn't her fault," Steve said in a 'this is final' tone. They came up to a room labeled Toom.

"Found it," Sam commented, opening the door. Steve stepped in first, gaping at the sight in front of him.

Tanya, wrists chained above her head, looking even smaller than she did before. Her head was slumped over, blood was trailing from her wrists, and she looked dead.

Her words from just under two months ago rang in Steve's head.

Honestly? I want to fall asleep and just not wake up.

And she might have finally gotten her wish.