Chapter 28

Loki watched as Barnes said goodbye to Tanya, assuring her she was welcome back at any time.

"I like it here, Sargent. I don't need to go back," she claimed. But he knew better.

"You're lonely. Come back with me. They want to see you again," he said. She bit the inside of her cheek, her heart torn between the quaint life she had built and seeing people that would be excited to see her, that would support her.

"Go, Tanya. It'll be good for you," Loki said, setting a hand on her shoulder, well aware she didn't have any idea he was there. A chill ran up her spine, feeling a cold breeze near her neck.

Loki had been following her around for weeks. He had seen everything--Tony dying, the funeral, Tanya's anger. The silent tears, clenched fists, hairs ripped out from pain and stress in an attempt to feel something--anything. He had been there for them all.

Privately, it killed him. He hated seeing her suffer. But he had no way to reach out to her.

"A-Alright. Let me get my stuff," she stuttered, and Loki smiled softly.

This was good for her. She would have people that could support her, pick her up when she falls down.

Though, in a distant, distant land, there stood the ruler of his world with several soldiers. And he uttered a single command.

"It's time. Take her."