Chapter 37

"I'm sorry, sir, I don't know what you're talking about. She looks perfectly fine," there was a soft fabric beneath me.

Damn it.

It didn't work. He got there in time.

"She always looks fine!" Steve. He brought me to wherever this place is. I could hear him arguing with someone in the hall. I sat up, opening my eyes and looking around. I was in a hospital ward, a chair with 'Steve Rogers' taped to it. He was outside in the hall, arguing with a doctor.

"She's awake," the two stepped inside, Steve with a solemn look on his face. "I'll let the two of you talk. I'll be back shortly," as soon as the door clicked closed, Steve rounded on me.

"What in the actual hell, Tanya?!" he shouted. I couldn't respond. I didn't know what to say. "Why did you try to jump?" suddenly, all my grief and pain exploded into a furious, writhing ball of anger and misery.

"Because I can't take it! But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you, Mr. Happy-go-lucky?" I sneered.

"You know that's not true, Tanya," he said calmly.

"Oh really? Have you ever thought about trying to escape from it all? To finally get rid of that awful weight on your heart?" I snarled.

"No, because I know that I have friends and family relying on me to be strong," he replied, rather sharply. I could read between the lines. He thought that I didn't care about anyone or their feelings.

Oh, how I wish that was true.

"You think I don't care," I said rather mundanely.

"That's not what I said," he snapped.

"I'm always a goddamn polar opposite! Either I'm too quiet, or I'm too loud. I take things too seriously, or not seriously at all. I'm too sensitive, or too cold-hearted. I hate with every fiber of my being, or love with every piece of my heart. And you know what, Rogers? I do care. I care so much. But I'm cursed," I snapped.

"You're not cursed," he claimed.

"Oh, yes I am. I'm cursed with caring too much about people. I'm cursed to try my hardest to save the lost. I'm cursed with love. And the only thing I've learned about love is the power it gives someone to crush you."

"Love isn't a curse," he lied.

"Then you've never lost anything or anyone,"

He left after that.