Chapter 39

3rd Person's POV

A tall, slender, slightly intimidating man was in quite an odd situation. Instead of being in a club or posh establishment, where he seems where he belonged, was currently trudging through the woodlands of Canada.

Why?

He was looking for someone, and from what we knew, that was where they last were. As he walked around, his phone buzzed and he pulled it out.

Mystery Avenger tries to commit suicide.

A news article, from the New York Times, with a picture of a gangly silhouette standing high above the photographer.

He opened the article, scanning it for anything that might lead him to his target. A few separate lines caught his interest.

Read: What Happened to the Avengers?

Curious, he opened the link.

In 2018, a terrifying event known as the Vanishing (now known as the Snap) took place and half of the world's population disappeared, with only a pile of dust in their place. Among these vanished, were some of the beloved heroes known as the Avengers. Some of these heroes include the Falcon, Wanda Maximoff, The Vision, Spider-Man, Gammastorm, Black Panther, and The Dark Assassin.
Recently, in October, the remaining Avengers--including Iron Man, Captain America, Bruce Banner, Black Widow, Snakebite, Hawkeye, Thor, Blackwing, Cottonmouth, Ant-Man, the Devil's Sin, and War Machine, reassembled and managed to bring the population back. However, their endeavor had a cost.
Yesterday, on October 27th, Captain America addressed the public and announced some disheartening news.
Eleven days prior, on October 16th, Black Widow, the moniker of Natasha Romanoff, gave up her life to bring back the Vanished. Even more disheartening was his next sentence.
"On October 17th, during the Battle of Earth against Thanos and his forces, Snakebite sacrificed herself to defeat Thanos' army and was killed in the process. In her will, she asked that her true identity be revealed to the public, and that's what I'm here to do today. Snakebite's true name was Eleanor Peyton Barton, which was often shortened to Ellie."
He goes on to speak about Barton, speaking about his experiences with her and stating that she was "only twenty-five when she gave her life." Taking this into consideration, and with the knowledge that Barton had been operating as Snakebite since the Invasion of New York, she was thirteen during the battle."

Finishing that article, and the previous article, he knew he had enough information to track down who he was looking for.

Muttering a strange incantation under his breath, he vanished and reappeared in an alleyway in New York. Scanning the surrounding streets outside of the hospital his target had been cited to be recovering in, he spotted someone losing their mind.

They started to look around, before taking off down the street, heading toward a nearby park. He followed after, catching the phrase that they were repeating over and over again.

The loneliest moment in someone's life is when they watch their whole world fall apart and all they can do is stare blankly.

He was a bit taken aback by the phrase but approached nonetheless since it was who he was looking for.

"Everything alright?"