Chapter 32

"I did as you asked. Now, my file," I said firmly, and Malekith laughed.

"Your task is not yet over. In due time, child, you will learn to obey," he said. He pulled out a needle, and two guards marched over, grabbing my arms and pinning them behind me. He injected the needle and whatever was inside it into my neck.

"Child?" I couldn't respond.

"Excellent. The procedure succeeded. Now, let's pay a visit to your friends," we were back home.

Home. I hadn't used that word in a long time.

It felt nice.

"What the hell have you done to her?" Steve demanded. They were all chained to the wall, using technology built to hold Aesir.

They weren't getting out.

"Why, I simply improved her. Why run the risk of disobedience when you could just control them yourself? She now obeys my every command. If I wanted, I could kill each of you with one word," Malekith taunted.

"Tanya! Tanya, listen to me. This isn't you. Don't listen to him! He's in your head!" Steve shouted.

"No one's in my head, Rogers. I'm as free as I've ever been," I responded, my tone subdued and almost cheerful.

"You let her go! Let go of my kid!" Tony bellowed.

Kid. Kid. He was real. He's alive.

He's alive.

Thor started straining at the restraints, and Malekith let out a cold laugh. "Those restraints were made to restrain people like you, Äskärdhiksä. You cannot escape. Just accept it--it's better this way. Perhaps, if you prove your worth in time, you can join the toom by my side," he said.

"We'll never follow someone like you," Fury spat.

"Shame," he responded.

"What have you done to her?" Bucky demanded.

"I'll show you. Bring out the prisoner," Malekith ordered. Two guards soon appeared with a woman bearing my face, except her nose was different.

Huh. Strange.

"Ros," he ordered. I pulled a gun from my waistband, clicking off the safety guard and firing a single time.

Bullet to the head. Target eliminated.

"Who was that? Who was that?" Steve barked. I went over, dragging the body and flinging it in front of them, letting the stranger's cold, dead eyes stare them down.

"Tha--Liv Bodottir," Thor said quietly.

"Who's Liv Bodottir?" Sam asked. "Why does she look so similar to Tanya?"

"No. It can't be..." Tony said.

"She was Tanya's mother. Tanya just killed her mother."