Chapter 5

Backtracking

Meanwhile, Jabari and the others were standing in an unknown room catching their breath from running.

"What the fuck was that?" Chris screamed nervously.

"You asking a dumb ass question like we supposed to know." Jabari replied loudly.

These guys were always being sarcastic with each other. Ever since college, Jabari and Chris were just those two guys none of the girls liked and none of their classmates wanted to be around. Eventually after getting assigned to the same group project, it became inevitable that they were meant to be the best of friends.

"Quiet, you idiots!" Amari whispered sternly.

"Damn!" Lexus commented with a chuckle.

Amari listened while everyone else was quiet and she couldn't hear a thing. Then, she pulled her ear from the door after she felt it was safe.

"So, what now?" Tamara asked curiously.

"Now, we get moving and find Spencer and Jasmine." Jabari responded casually.

"Yeah, that's a good plan." Amari agreed.

Chris just laughed and walked away from the group. The others watched as he took a seat in a dusty, old chair in the room.

"Before anything, we need to arm ourselves. We don't know what or who is out there." Chris mentioned seriously.

Jabari pulled out a switchblade and it shined in the light.

"Found this in the room once we got in here." Jabari said confidently.

Everyone looked at him with a straight face.

"What?" He reacted.

Amari shook her head and Chris slapped his forehead.

"We're going to need something more intimidating than a dull knife." Chris commented honestly.

"Well, it's better than nothing." Tamara added.

Chris shrugged his shoulders.

"I ain't going out without a fight. Best believe that!" Jabari announced.

Then, Amari began to head out of the room to look for a way out.

"We need to go. Time is running out." She spoke as she walked towards the door.

"True. We can't leave Spencer and Jasmine though." Tamara said softly.

"No!"

"What you mean no?" Tamara asked.

"They'll find their way. We can't go backwards." Amari stated hiding her nervousness.

The room got quiet for a moment. Nobody moved at all. The vibe suddenly became cold.

"Damn, that was kinda heartless, Amari." Lexus pointed out.

Amari thought to herself of what she said. She just didn't want to risk going back into danger.

"I'm get why you would say that. But I think we should go get them." Jabari mentioned to Amari.

"So, we're splitting up? If so, I'll stick with Amari and Lexus." Tamara insisted.

Even though, that wasn't what Jabari or Chris was hinting at. They weren't going to argue with their decision.

"Well, okay then. Let's meet back up here in fifteen minutes." Jabari said.

Tamara and Lexus nodded their heads in agreeance.

"We'll be fine." Amari insisted with confidence.

Then, Amari, Lexus, and Tamara headed out the door and went down a new path to look for a way out. Jabari and Chris headed back in the direction to find Jasmine and Spencer.

~~~

After splitting up from the girls, Jabari and Chris began looking through different rooms.

"We gotta check every room we passed." Chris mentioned.

"No shit." Jabari said jokingly.

Room after room, they looked inside until they came across one room that caught their attention.

"Hey, check this out!" Chris whispered softly.

Jabari turned around and came into the room Chris entered.

"What is it?" Jabari whispered softly.

Chris pointed inside the room. There inside the dark, gloomy room was a space full of guns, swords, and other exotic weapons.

All of the weapons were sealed within a large, steel glass case. Engraved in the wall.

"We gotta get this." Chris mentioned excitedly.

Jabari was smarter than that though. He knew it was possibly a trap. It was way too obvious. A quiet, clear room with weapons. No way! It was too good to be true.

"No! We can't do that. It's not safe." Jabari spoke quickly.

Chris began to take a different look at the room. As tempting as it appeared, the weapons were definitely displayed as if it was meant to be seen.

"Yeah, you got a point." He told Jabari.

Jabari snatched a button off of his clothing and tossed it across the floor inside the room. Shortly afterwards, the room lit up with red lasers everywhere.

Jabari and Chris both glanced at each other in surprise.

"We can probably make that." Chris insisted.

"Shit! You must be smoking meth!" Jabari snapped uncontrollably.

"Have you not seen any horror or spy movies in your life? Those lasers could cut us in half the moment we touch em."

"Okay, calm down Dash! Let's go!" Chris responded to Jabari.

Then, both of the guys headed to the next few rooms on the floor until they reached the end of the hall.

"Well, they aren't anywhere this way." Jabari mentioned.

Chris just stood there looking around waiting to see if anything was suspicious. He was doing his best to be more aware of the rooms in case there were any traps.

"Yeah, more than likely they're close to the girls." Chris whispered.

"Exactly. We need to head back so we don't get left behind." Jabari added truthfully.

Unexpectedly, the halls started filling up with sewage water. The water started rising inch by inch as the guys looked down, they saw where the water was coming from.

"What the hell!" Chris gasped.

It was coming from the other side of the hall where they were being held earlier. Loads of the water as if the place was about to be flooded.

"We gotta go!" Jabari yelled nervously.

"There's a staircase over this way. Come on!" Chris mentioned as he opened a door to the stairs.

Jabari ran behind him and closed the door, then they ran upstairs to the next floor. Not knowing where the others were, Jabari and Chris had no choice but to take their own route now. The masked person behind the kidnapping set it off at the right time. Almost everybody has been split up at this time. Could these Jabari and Chris survive on their own?