Chapter 21

The Final Touch

"I hope they make it out." Jabari mentioned to Lexus.

Jabari and Lexus were making their way to the upper floor to find the masked killer. It had only been ten minutes or so since they split from Spencer and Tamara.

"They should be. Hopefully." Lexus responded softly.

The two of them were heading up the stairwell and feet away from the top floor. Jabari grabbed the doorknob and opened the door. Lexus walked in first since she had the gun.

"It's clear in here." Lexus told Jabari as she was aiming the gun in the direction in case, she saw the masked killer.

Jabari followed behind Lexus as they headed up the steps. They reached the top floor and opened the door. What they saw ahead was a pitch, black hall with a small dim of light at the end.

"Well, looks like this is it." Jabari said as he noticed the glimpse of light.

"Hell yeah, we can't die now." Lexus responded to her friend.

Jabari nodded. They both began walking down the hall slowly to avoid ruining the element of surprise.

"Lexus, what's the first thing you're going to do when we get out?" Jabari asked softly.

Lexus smiled and thought about the question for a moment.

"Probably go on a date with a girl back home." She replied excitedly.

Jabari chuckled.

"That makes sense." He said to her.

"What about you?" Lexus asked in reciprocation.

"Shit, probably go do some drugs and jack off." Jabari said jokingly.

They both laughed at the same time while still walking to the killer's secret room. Suddenly, they heard a loud beep that sounded like a button being pushed on a touch screen oven. The laughter and walking came to a stop. Frozen in place, neither one of the two moved an inch yet.

"You see anything?" Lexus asked nervously.

It took a few seconds but Jabari noticed the unpredictable that changed the plan they had for the night. He looked at Lexus and his face were full of disappointment.

"Yeah. Don't move!" Jabari told her anxiously.

Lexus noticed Jabari was looking down at her feet. She saw a red beaming light in the lens of his eyes. Then, she slowly looked down. Jabari began to back away from her and move in the other direction to face her.

"Shit! Man!" Lexus yelled loudly.

She had stepped on a mine that was planted in the middle of the floor of the hallway. Sadly, there was nothing Jabari could do about it. He could try to diffuse it, but he had no experience of that type of work. He could also try to push Lexus off of the mine, but they would both die. All he could do was look Lexus in her eyes and say his last goodbye to his second closest friend.

"Damn! I'm sorry Lexus. I love you, but I can't save you." Jabari confessed truthfully as he shed a tear.

"Yeah, I know. I love you too bro!" Lexus responded back to him.

Jabari turned away from her and made his way to face the killer on his own. As soon as he got far away from Lexus enough to survive the blast, the mine under her feet went off. BOOM! The hallway shook just a little and the dust from the ceiling fell to the floor.

"Damn it!" Jabari whispered to himself as he kept making his way to the killer's secret hideout.

Losing two of his closest friends made him realize that he had nothing else to lose. His life was at stake. There was only one thing left for him to do. Fight! Even if he died, he didn't care as long as he tried. Thinking about it all put Jabari in a mental state of craving revenge. The rage inside of him began to rise and dive him more than ever.