the marriage arrangements for the princess

Dagon sat at the table enjoying his meal and the company of Peter as they laughed at a few jokes.  The food and drink never seemed to end.  Dagon couldn’t remember the last time he ate so well.  Usually he spent most of his time with his sister in the woods scavenging for scraps for the two of them.  A sad feeling of remorse went through him at the thought of his sister was in the woods by herself with no friends around her.  In fact she probably didn’t have much food considering how difficult it was for her to catch a meal by herself.  As a giantess, she had a problem of sneaking up on a meal without it noticing her large form towering over them. 

“What’s wrong,” Peter asked Dagon noticing the sudden change in his features.

“It’s my sister,” Dagon spoke carelessly.  He flinched at the mistake he just made.  No one knew he had a sister.

“You have a sister?  I thought you were an orphan,” Peter asked shocked.  “Why haven’t I heard about this?”

Dagon made a note to watch what he said.  He had a little too much to drink already.  “She’s not in town if that’s what you’re asking.  I plan to meet up with her tomorrow.”

“You should bring her by next time.  I would love to meet her,” Peter said grinning at him.

“You’ll be in for a big surprise,” Dagon said trying not to laugh at the thought of his sister showing up in town.  Oh boy that would be something…

Trying to change the subject from his sister Dagon asked Peter some question.  “Do you happen to know the princess’ name?”

Peter cocked an eyebrow at him, “That’s not a very good idea,” Peter warned.

“What?”

“Don’t even think about fooling around with her,” Peter said with a serious tone.

Dagon looked shocked as can be.  “When have I ever messed around with a woman?”

“That’s what scares me,” Peter said as he ordered another drink.  “Of all the times that I have seen you, you never asked me anything about a girl.  In fact I almost though you weren’t interested,” Peter said teasingly.

Anger rose up in Dagon as he felt insulted at Peter’s comment.  Just because he had never been with a woman didn’t mean he wasn’t attracted to them.  There were numerous reasons why he hadn’t been with a woman yet, but one reason would be his condition… well that and the fact that he wasn’t around people very often and had no people skills.

“I’m just having fun with you,” Peter said trying to lighten the mood.  “But seriously you shouldn’t even think about her as anything except as a customer who just gave you a large sum of money.  The king would have you killed in seconds,” Peter told him in a very serious tone.  “I’m just looking out for you.  You’re like family to me.”  Dagon scoffed.

“I don’t know about that.  I paid a lot this afternoon for that stand.”

“I said, ‘Like family’,” Peter said laughing.  “I’m still running a business.”  Dagon laughed.  “Where you staying by the way,” Peter asked.

“I don’t know, probably in the inn across the street-”

“Why don’t you stay with me and my wife?  We got an open room,” Peter offered.

Dagon finished his drink, “Sounds great, you about ready to go?”

“Give me a minute,” Peter said as he gulped down his drink and waved over the waitress that was serving them.  She came over to check on them.  Peter proceeded to take out some money and pay the waitress for their meal and drinks.  “I got it this time,” Peter told Dagon who started to pull out some money too.