Thank You

What a royal mess indeed. As Alex dropped me at my apartment, I didn't dare to make any eye contact. I was lost in my own thoughts as he gave back my mobile and drove off.

I told all that happened to Steff who immediately called Chris, Ivan, and Christoff. Chris was furious at Christoff for introducing Brian to the group. Christoff left immediately after, I presume to talk with Brian. I was too shaken up. Steff was embarrassed to leave me. Apparently, Ivan and she fought and she was pissed off. When I didn't come home last night, she thought I went to Brian's.

Thankfully Alex was there in the club and thankfully, I don't remember anything. Otherwise, I would have been traumatized. I wonder if he downplayed the events that happened yesterday for my sake. He must have. If Brian had ulterior motives then he wouldn't have given in so easily.

I watched telly the whole day while munching the pizza which Steff ordered. It was almost late evening when my mobile beeped. There was a message from an unknown number.

'How are you now? - A'

'Okay, I guess. Thanks again.'

'Take a couple of days off'

'Thanks. I might take a day off tomorrow.'

'Sleep tight'

'Good Nights'

As I laid down, I kept thinking about what would've happened if Mr. Grumpy wasn't in the club yesterday.

'But why did he go to the club?'

'Why? Can't he go to the club?'

'Didn't he say he had a dinner meeting?'

'Maybe the meeting was in the club.'

'Really!'

Anyways, before I could decide why he came to the club, I fell asleep.

The next morning was fresh. I woke up as my alarm rang. I jumped out of bed and then realized that I was on leave today. I decided to cook breakfast for Steff and me. She left just before 8 and I sat in front of telly contemplating what to do next.

Since my Sunday grocery shopping was missed, I made a detailed list of items needed at home. While making the list I thought about Mr. Grumpy.

Though he did display his grumpy side to me, he was always thoughtful about me. My mind went to the other considerate things he had done for me. Like the time he scooped me up from the water ditch. Or when he softened the fall during the intruder episode. Or keeping the tablets and water on the nightstand. Or giving his shoulder to cry. I remembered how he called me 'Amy'. I love how it sounded coz he would whisper the name and not shout as my friends do.

Wow! Does he like me? I'm not sure being considerate could be counted for liking. He might have done the same for anyone in my position, isn't it? Anyways, he did save me last night for sure. I should always be thankful for that. And then an idea popped:

'I should buy something for him. As a thank you gift'

'What can I possibly buy that he needs?'

It is so easy to buy a gift for a woman. I wonder what can I get him?

'Maybe a Thank You card?'

'Who gives cards in this era?'

'Anyways I can't buy him a gift, a simple Thank You card would be okay'

'Yes! And I can place the card over his Espresso tomorrow.'

'Good Idea!'

With renewed resolve, I went out. I went to the gift shop first, checking the cards. The Thank You section was a small one, I guess not many people buy cards these days. None of the cards suited the occasion. There were Thank You cards for parents, teachers, and friends. It got me thinking, what's our relationship? Are we friends? Surely not. It's a plain Boss-PA relationship. Except that the Boss saved the PA. A couple of times now, isn't it?

Eventually, I saw a tiny yellow card. It was hardly the size of a passport photo. It had a painting of a simple flower. There were no words inside or outside the card.

'Perfect!'

After I finished the grocery shopping, I sat down with a plain paper and wondered what to write on the card.

Dear Mr. Grumpy,

'Wait! I can't call him that.'

Dear Alex,

Thank you for saving me.

Yours,

Amelia.

'Saving me? Yours? Does it look as if I'm too desperate? No, scratch that.'

Alex,

Thanks

-Amelia

'This one looks as if I'm scolding him. Na, scratch this as well.'

Thank you!

'Yea! This looks much better. Just a Thank you. He would know who gave this. There are no cheesy lines.'

I wrote 'Alex' on the cover of the card and smiled. I kept the card safely inside my bag so that tomorrow morning, with his Espresso, this card will also be delivered to Alex.

As I decided to do the laundry, I pulled out the silver dress. I wondered how much my perspective changed in just one evening. Two days back, I was looking forward for the birthday celebration in the club and now, I dread thinking about it.

My silver dress was torn a bit. I wonder when it happened? Maybe when Brian was... I closed my eyes. The thought still gives me jitters. Alex's shirt was also there. I came home in his shirt as my dress was torn. I unknowingly caressed it. It was soft and smelled good. Just like him. Then it struck me.

'Who changed my dress?'

My silver dress and undies were folded and kept on the table.

'Shit! Did he? Would he have seen anything or everything?'

'Of course, Dumbo! How on the earth will he otherwise undress you?'

'What if he switched off the lights?'

'Sure! He's Tom Cruise from Knight & Day – Trained to diffuse the bomb in pitch dark!'

'And it's not only undressing but also dressing into his shirt too.'

'Even if he changed the dress in darkness, he would have folded them neatly in proper lighting isn't it?'

'Oh stop it! I can't think so much!'

A blush crept onto my cheeks as I imagined thescene. Looks like I'm imagining a lot of incidents nowadays!