Terms & Conditions

Things moved swiftly after that. Alex asked me to cancel all his meetings and clear his calendar for the day. As I worked in my cabin, I could see two men in suit walking into his office. When I went in, to place his evening espresso, I could see the men furiously typing something on their laptops.

"Don't leave by five. We need to sign this off today. I will drop you at your apartment." He said as I placed the Espresso.

"Okay."

It was half-past five and they were still making the document. My stomach rumbled and to distract myself, I decided to call my mom. What will I tell her?

'Hey mom! How are you? By the way, I'm getting married!' I chuckled at the dialogue. The phone rang to full but she didn't pick it up. I usually call her on weekends but this weekend, I was too lost to do anything.

My intercom buzzed and I went inside. Alex was going through the document. The lawyers looked at me. I wondered what they thought of me. If they did think something about me, they didn't give it away. Alex gestured me to come to the chamber.

"Have a read. If you have questions or any additions, let me know. If It's all fine, then you sign." He gave me a bundle of papers.

"Wha- this is huge!" I flipped to the last page. "75 pages! What have you written so much?" I was flabbergasted. "This would take me at least two hours to read" I exclaimed

"There is no rush. Anyways, I would like you to read and understand everything. Take your own sweet time" He closed the chamber and went outside.

If I thought that I thought everything about the 'deal' then I thought wrong! I couldn't even grasp the depth of his thinking. I sat down and started to read.

THIS DEED HAS BEEN EXECUTED THE -- DAY OF ----

BETWEEN

MR. ALEXANDER WILLIAM HOLDEN

Son of Steve Prescot Holden and Anna Mary Holden

Permanently residing at 7390, Brentwood Los Angeles, CA 90049

(hereinafter referred to as the Party 1)

on the first part

AND

MS. AMELIA JANE WILSON

Daughter of Ronald John Wilson and Sandra Kirstin Wilson

Permanently residing at 440/7 Hempel Ave, Gotha, Florida 34734

(hereinafter referred to as the Party 2)

on the second part

WHEREAS Party 1 and Party 2 have agreed to collaborate on a business deal. This deed witnesses the following:

Initially, it was tough to understand as the 'Law Language' was a bit Shakespearian. Soon I got the hang of it. Everything we discussed during the lunch break was noted. It was way too detailed. What could be the reason to write -

'Both the parties will not be responsible to do any domestic chores which include cooking, cleaning, laundry, and other housekeeping activities.' Who thinks about domestic chores in such situations? Anyways, that's good for me. It's strange enough to share the same roof with him. Cant imagine the great Alexander Holden having meal cooked by me!

'Party 2 will be assigned with a personal chauffeur, maid and a monthly allowance apart from the compensation decided in section 1.2.3. This will be credited to a different account which will be set up on the name of Party 1 while the credit/debit card will be used by Party 2'

About half of the document was over. I stretched to release the tension from my aching muscles and my oversensitive nose caught a whiff. 'Is that pizza?'

As if on cue, Mr. Grumpy entered with a pizza.

"I thought you might be hungry." He smiled

"Oh yes! I'm starving!" I almost pounced on the pizza.

"How is it going?" He gestured at the agreement.

"It's okay." I already had the pizza in my mouth

"Call me if you need anything. I'm in the office." And he left me to gobble down the food.

More than three-quarters of the document was complete. There were hardly ten more pages. Most of the things were the same as he said. There has to be some catch, right? How could everything be so straight? Then I came to a hard stop when I read the next clause:

'Both the parties will share the same bedroom irrespective of location, situation, and events.'

Wait! This has to be discussed. Didn't he tell me when in San Francisco, which was where we would be 80% of the time, I can stay in the guest room? I opened the door and he saw me. He immediately walked towards me.

"You told me that we need not share the same room if we are staying here in San Francisco. This clause says otherwise." I showed him the document.

"You are right Amelia." He sighed. "Upon closer consideration, this clause was changed. You see, I have a lot of staff at the house. If they find you sleeping in another room, they might just suspect something. Moreover, my mother has her own ways of pulling information from the staff." He explained.

"But – but Mr. Holden -"

"Call me Alex. You need to get used to that"

"Okay. Alex, this can't be. I cannot sleep in the same room as you."

"Are you scared of me Amy?"

"No. I mean – it's not that I'm scared of you but this is not comfortable" Isn't it understandable? "It's too intimate" I mumbled. This is so awkward. Oh God!

"We have done this before." He calmly said.

"That was different Alex."

"I know but I'm just saying."

"Plus, that was a twin bed arrangement. Here we would be sharing the same bed!" I pictured myself wearing a nightie and sleeping beside Alex. A handsome Alex, not wearing any shirt, with hands behind his head. 'Shit! Stop imagining Amy!'

"You can trust me Amy" His voice was husky. "But our entire act could fall apart if we don't stick to this clause." He sighed. "I promise you Amy, I'll never take advantage of you neither will I ever force myself on you, if that's what you are scared of." I guess there was no point arguing about this anymore.

All the other clauses were straightforward. It was time. We sat down to sign the document. How much time do you think it takes to sign 75 pages? Forever! My hands were paining by the time I finished signing the document. I also think that my first sign was significantly different from the last. The lawyers were patient until we both finished the signatures after which they left. It was already half past 8 at night.

"Shall we go for dinner?" Alex asked but I declined. The pizza felt solid in my tummy. Also, I was a bit uneasy, now that it's almost official. As we reached our apartment, he turned to me.

"Take an off tomorrow and pack your bags." He said in his usual calm tone

"I can't do that! I have to tell this to Steff. I haven't even spoken to my mom or my friends yet." I was a bit jumpy.

"Okay. Then let them know by today or tomorrow. You'll shift by Wednesday." I nodded. I was lost for words.

I have sealed my fate!