Friends & Family

Steff was busy over the phone and so I thought it would be a good time to call mom. I kinda have a script ready. Since I don't have to face her, it should be a cakewalk. After all, she's my mom and I know how to convince my mom. After the initial small talk, I was wondering how to go ahead. Guess it was time to go ballistic.

"Mom, I've met someone here." I tried my best to make it sound it exciting. Mom was very happy for me and wanted to know all about him. "He is actually my Boss. The same one I told you about a few weeks back. We instantly clicked and so - " Moms are so gullible I tell you.

"That's great Amy! I am so happy for you." Her sound was happy and cheerful.

"Hmm... so, since we really like each other, we are planning to get married." I dropped the bomb.

"Wait! Babe, I'm happy that you found a great guy but getting married? Isn't it too soon?" I didn't expect this from her. It was supposed to be a cakewalk. "And if I remember, it's only been a few weeks. Sweetheart, life is long. What's the rush? Why don't you wait to know him well? Take time, maybe three to six months. Get married next year." Ever since dad left mom, she has been very protective of me.

"But he knows me very well mom. He's been in love with me for the past 6 months" I had to give some excuse.

"Okay. But how much do you know him? Do you know what he likes to do in his free time? His favorite food, color, or movie?" She surely is my mom.

"Mom, please don't worry. Everything will turn out well. I will keep you updated." I wanted to hang up.

"I love you Amy. I don't want you to suffer heartbreak." Isn't that what I put my signature on?

"I know mom, I love you too. Bye!" I was glad to cut the call.

If this was a cakewalk, I can't imagine what would be the talk with Steff and the CIA be like? They'll catch me within minutes when I lie to their face? I better be prepared. I took my mobile phone and searched for Mr. Grumpy. I clicked on the new message and typed:

'Hi' The reply was instantaneous

'Hi'

'Just wanted to know a couple of things'

'Shoot'

'What's your favorite color, food, drink, movie, place, song'

'Wow! Looks like you are preparing well for the exam.'

'Grr...'

'Black'

'Garlic Herb Butter Roast Chicken'

'Whiskey'

'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'

'Home'

'Song changes with the mood'

'What's yours?'

'Blue'

'Ice Cream'

'Sherry :| '

'Ditto on the movie'

'Perfect – Ed Sheeran'

'Interesting!'

'Talked to mom already. She wasn't very happy as this is too quick.'

'Will sort it out with her soon.'

Time to tackle Steff.'

'All the best. Let me know what happened.'

'Okay. Promise'

'Pinky Promise?'

'Pinky Promise! :) '

I smiled as I typed. It felt as if I'm talking to a friend I had known for a long time. Time for the next milestone - Steff was in the kitchen eyeing something suspiciously in the fridge. I cleared my throat.

"Oh, hey Amy! Planning for dinner?" she was now carefully sniffing the can.

"No. Had pizza at the office" I just wanted to be done with it.

"Uh-ha" She was busy finding something to eat.

"I just wanted to talk to you" I was still creating an opening statement in my head. She had my attention now. She crossed her arms and raised her perfectly arched eyebrow.

"Err... I like – love my boss and I'm planning to marry him" I blurted.

"What the fuck! What are you talking about?" She was excited. Thank God for that. She grabbed a cup of yogurt and pulled me to the couch. "Now spill!" she was more interested in me than me. I realized it's much easier to explain to an excited soul than to a concerned soul.

We ended up talking for a couple of hours. Now I have a story ready for anyone who might ask. It's quite convincing actually.

'Alex doubted that Ethan & I are going around. Since Ethan was engaged, Alex decided to do a background check on me. Obviously, he found nothing was going between Ethan & I. He, however, liked me so much that he suggested the swap with Ethan. Ethan was happy to swap as he could spend more time with Sam. Alex became my boss, we got to know each other well. In the Brian episode, Alex saved me. After that, we spent some good moments together during the Seattle conference. He then proposed to me for marriage which I accepted.'

There! Quite convincing isn't it? Well, except for the marriage part. I've heard about love at first sight but that happens only in novels isn't it? Anyways, I don't have anything else to add. I must tell this to Alex as well. Our stories should be the same.

Steff was cool with me moving out the next day, though I will still have to pay the full month's rent. Steff did get a little emotional as we took a walk down the memory lane of our moments together. In fact, I felt guilty when she said about finding a new roommate. It all happened so quickly that I didn't think of this part quite well.

Finally, I bade my goodnights to Steff and came to my room. I remembered my promise to Alex.

'So, I told Steff'

'And?'

'She's cool'

'Cool.'

'I have a story and our stories should match. I'll tell you tomorrow'

'Sure.'

'Also, I might need my salary in advance as I'll have to pay this month's rent.'

'Done.'

'Thanks. Good night then'

'Good Nights.'

As I switched off the light, my mobile beeped. It was a message from my Bank notifying that one million dollars had been credited to my account.

I have always imagined how would it be, to be filthy rich. I thought I would jump, dance and go crazy. But I felt nothing. The uncertainty of tomorrow made it harder than I thought.

Oh My!