Convince Me Harder

Saturday rolled into Sunday and Sunday into Monday. I dreaded this Monday. There used to be a time when I used to look forward to Monday and now!

The adventurer in me wanted to go ahead with this when I think of this in terms of 'Deal' as Mr. Grumpy mentioned. It's not forever and the money is huge. I can retire. Go back to Florida or just do nothing!

The other part of me screamed and told me not to do this. In the core, this was wrong. Not only this be cheating his mother but my friends and family too. And what about me? Wouldn't I be literally like an escort?

As usual, I took his Espresso and walked into his office. What do I tell him? Though I messaged my answer to him, the talk with him later that night messed up all my thoughts. To be frank, at this point of time, I don't know what to say. My head was buzzing.

As I entered, I was surprised.

"Ethan?" Wow! I didn't expect him at all.

"Hi Amelia, how are you?" He was smiling as usual. I wasn't sure if how knows what brewed between Mr. Grumpy and me. I just shrugged.

"I know what Alex said." His tone was serious. My eyes flew wide open.

"He called me on Friday and explained everything." He sighed. "Amelia, under no circumstances, I want you to think that I'm trying to influence you. I don't completely agree with Alex and it's not fair to you but when I think about our mom, I can't just disagree with him either." He racked his hair. "This sounds so messed up Amelia but if you can..." he left it hanging.

"This is blackmailing Ethan." I said gently

"I know. I'm so sorry Amelia, we put you in this fucking situation. I mean I have seen the women Alex has been with so far. Everyone wanted fame, being associated with the Holden family. I have known you for a while, I don't think you would be in for that. You would be a wonderful companion. I am sure mom would approve you, she will be happy on her last journey, thinking that all her children are settled and leading a happy life. But I really shouldn't force you." He finished lamely. "Anyways, now that I'm here, let me officially invite you for my marriage. Sam has already invited you and we would love to see you there" He smiled

"Thanks Ethan but I can't. I mean, not that I don't want to. But I can't afford it." I wasn't ashamed of the fact.

"I'll take care of it" He immediately replied

"You would now, wouldn't you?" I couldn't control the sarcasm in my tone. His shoulders visibly slumped. I felt horrible.

"I'm sorry Amelia. I understand why you probably don't want to come. It's okay. Alright, so I'll take leave. The wedding is far away but there's a lot of preparations to do. Sam has literally become bridezilla" He laughed. It lightened the mood of the room and I smiled as well.

"Congratulations Ethan. Sam is lovely. I hope you will have an amazing life ahead.' I smiled. "Umm... Where's Alex?" I wanted to know

"He should reach by afternoon." Ethan looked curiously at me.

"You came all the way from New York just to tell me this? You could've just called me on my cell" I wondered aloud.

"This is important Amelia. I want you to know how important this is for us. I couldn't insult by just giving you a call."

"Uh-oh" 'They really do care about each other'. I couldn't say anything else. I turned to go back.

After Ethan left, I went back to my cabin. The workload was less and I finished it quickly. My lack of enthusiasm and hunger was promptly noted by Ivan and Chris. They wondered if I had flu coming. I mumbled something in agreement and came back to my cabin. Mr. Grumpy was still not in the office. I took the lunch from Elsa's desk.

As I arranged the food in the Chamber, my eyes drifted again to the framed picture. I unknowingly picked it up. Anna was laughing. My eyes and fingers were drawn to Mr. Grumpy. His laugh was infectious. What would it be to be with a family like this? Would I like to know? I sighed. I placed the picture back at its position and turned around. Mr. Grumpy was leaning at the door. His arms were crossed at his chest.

"I didn't want to scare you again" His face was expressionless, his tone flat. I couldn't understand if he was happy or sad or angry. He stood there watching me. There was no way that I walk through that door without crashing into him. I stood firm.

"So, what did you decide Amy?" His voice was hard. He paused for a second. "Whatever your decision is, I will respect it. You can continue to work here without any problems and I will never bring this up. Ever."

An image flashed wherein some random girl, now his wife, came to the office to meet him. Another image flashed wherein Regina, now his wife, came to the office to meet him.

Will I miss being in that position?