Welcome to Family

The pilot and the crew welcomed us on-board. The pilot announced the departure and we tightened the seat belts. I was sitting across Alex and was a bit annoyed.

"You could have told me about this. I thought we'll miss our flight." I complained.

"What's the fun in that" He laughed. His laugh was infectious. I found myself smiling. "See, now you are learning about me too. This is how my father and mother also go to know each other."

"What! Are you telling me that your parents had a forced marriage too?" I was genuinely surprised. He suddenly stopped laughing.

"Not forced but arranged marriage. They got to know each other slowly and steadily." He said. He looked at me and asked me in a serious tone "Do you think I forced you, Amelia?" He wanted to know. I was lost for words. 'Shit! It came out bad.'

"I didn't mean it like that but we didn't fall in love to be married" I stated

"My parents married and fell in love. Though I'm not an admirer for such an arrangement, I had no option. Do you want to reconsider?" I was shocked. Was there a reconsideration possible? Will I do it? What would be my life like?

When I didn't reply, he said "You still have a chance to go back. Once you meet my family, there is no turning back. So, do you regret your decision?" I nodded negatively. There is indeed no turning back now.

The rest of the journey was uneventful. Since I had had my lunch, I stuck to juice while Alex had his lunch on the flight. We touched down by seven at night. A car was already waiting for us. Within the next 45 minutes, we reached his home. It was no less than a mansion. As the winding path came, I could see a white, brightly lit three-story manor. As we got down from the car, Alex came to my side. I was very nervous but he reassuringly squeezed my hand. He bent down and whispered "Don't worry! I've got you and they'll love you." I looked at him nervously and smiled. And with that, he gently held my waist and pushed me forward.

The door opened to reveal a grand house. 'Warm!' was the first word that came to my mind. His dog, Charger, literally charged towards him. I took a step back but Alex held me. He bent down while Charger licked him energetically. Ethan came running from inside. He was grinning from ear to ear. He stopped in front of me and held my shoulder with both hands.

"I am so glad you came Amelia." He engulfed me in a bear hug. He moved to reveal a tall gorgeous woman. She came close to me and hugged me as well. She gushed like a waterfall.

"Welcome to the family Amy. I hope I can call you Amy. I'm Francesca but you can call me Fran. This is Justin and this -" she took the baby from Justin's arms "- is my sweetheart Jeffery. Jeff say 'Hi' to Amy Aunty." She held his tiny hand and waved towards me

"Hi Jeff!" I imitated a childish sound. Jeff babbled in his language.

Alex was back up on his feet while Charger enthusiastically barked and circled him around.

"Mom and Dad are waiting for you both inside." Ethan gestured towards the living room. "Go meet them and then we'll have dinner together."

Alex nodded at him and led me gently to the room where his father and mother were sitting by the fire. His father got up from his seat and walked towards us.

"Hello, Amelia. I hope you had a comfortable trip." I have met him a couple of times but it was casually, in the company of Ethan. I never paid a lot of attention to him. He was taller than Ethan but not more than Alex. He was stooping because of his age. I could imagine him in his grandeur while he was young.

"I did. Thank you, Mr. Holden," I smiled at his warmness.

"I'm no Mr. Holden. You call me dad." He patted my shoulder. I smiled.

"Come here darling!" I heard a delicate voice coming from near the fireplace. I walked and found a frail-looking elderly woman sitting on a plush sofa. She was leaning on the back and side rest of the sofa. I knew she was Anna. She looked much weaker than the person in the photograph. She waved and patted the space near her indicating me to sit.

"Ah! And I thought I'll never see this day." She cupped my face and I could see tears forming in her eyes. She had the same blue eyes like that of Alex. Her lips and hands trembled. Her face was shriveled but she had a content smile on her lips. Alex came near his mother, adjusted himself on the side rest of the sofa, and kissed her on her forehead.

"I couldn't believe that Alex fell in love and decided to marry. But I can now see how and why." She said as she gently leaned and kissed on my forehead. I couldn't utter a word as there was a lump in my throat. "You would be tired. Go freshen up and have dinner. We shall talk tomorrow. I have so much to listen to. Shall we meet for evening tea tomorrow?" She beamed and I nodded a yes.

I walked dazedly and joined Alex who gently guided me towards the dining hall. Everyone was already seated. They were all talking something excitedly. As Alex and I joined them, the food was served. I sat there nibbling my food hearing them chatter about the birthday celebration and family tour. There was fun-filled banter and laugh. Fran was poking fun at Alex while he threatened to reveal her dark secrets. Ethan and Justin were cackling at some joke while I sat there content and pleased.

'What a beautiful family!'