Golden Jubilee

A day before the Golden Jubilee Birthday celebration, we ladies decided that it was time for shopping.

It's not every day that I buy a gown and so I was really excited. As we walked into the boutique, the assistants walked up to us. They ushered us in and showed the racks and racks of gown collection they had. It was way too difficult to select one gown among the sea of gowns. Sam was a pro in this activity as she owns a boutique and has expert knowledge about these. Fran was the first one to get the gown she wanted and Sam followed the streak.

As I swiped through the gowns, one caught my attention. It was deep red, simple but elegant. Tiny beads of pearl flowed from the left shoulder, meandering towards the right hip. It was a high neck gown, but the back had a deep plunge showing more than enough skin for my liking. The sleeves were full length with a sprinkling of pearls. As I tried it, I knew I had to get it. Sam and Fran loved it too. So it was decided. At the end of a tiring day, all three of us had gorgeous gowns.

The next afternoon, we were all in the Salon to get ready. I was pleased when I looked at myself in the mirror.

My hair was pulled up in a beautiful hairdo. Few tiny pearl hairpins adorned my hair. The makeup was light, and it gave me a glow. My lips were painted a shade of nude, subduing the rich color of the gown. The heels gave me a good height and the pearl-studded clutch completed my look. Sam gave out a wolf whistle as I twirled in front of her.

As we reached closer to home, I had butterflies in my tummy. This was the first time that I will get introduced to the world as Alex's fiancé. As I walked into our room, I realized that Alex was in the walk-in closet, getting ready for the evening. I stood in front of the bed, not sure if I should go in and present myself or wait for him. I wanted to know his opinion, but I wasn't sure if I should.

While I stood there between the tussle between my mind and intellect, Alex came out. He looked at me and I stared back at him, not knowing what to say. He looked mouthwatering with the black tuxedo. His hair was gelled back, giving a prominent chisel to his looks.

"Will this be okay?" I wanted to hear him say something. He looked at me for a couple of seconds and nodded.

"Come with me" and he turned to go back to the walk-in closet. My shoulders slumped as I walked behind him. He took a small box from the island.

"Turn around." He told me. I turned my back to him, facing the mirror. I could see him in the mirror, staring at my back. He looked up and our eyes met, my lips parted. Suddenly it was too hot in the closed room. He took out a thin delicate gold chain that had a big single shiny diamond in the center and fastened it across my neck. The diamond caught the light and glittered. At a glance, it looked as if an invisible thread held the diamond.

"You look exquisite Amy!" He leaned and whispered, his lips brushed the edge of my ear. I closed my eyes as his fingers ever so lightly traced the plunge of the lace on my back. My breathing was labored and my core hummed. I wanted to hold him, I wanted him to hold me. Oh God! I wanted him now! I snapped open my eyes, but he was gone. Suddenly the room was cold, and I shivered.

I came out of the walk-in closet and found him standing in front of the bed.

"Shall we?" He gestured. We walked arm in arm as the party started. The house was beautifully decorated and I could see Anna and Steve smiling and talking to other guests. Alex was always by my side and I never felt out of place. He introduced me to everyone as his fiancé and I blushed every time he said so.

We all huddled together as the cake was brought in. After the cake cutting, Anna and Steve came to the center of the room dancing softly to the slow music. I couldn't find Alex, and just when I wondered what to do next, I felt someone behind me.

"Shall we dance?" This time, his voice didn't make me jump. I have now come to love his deep voice. I turned around to find Alex, his eyes dark and hand extended. I smiled and nodded and felt shivers pass down my body as I held his hand. He ever so gently guided me to the center of the room where I also saw Sam and Ethan dancing.

As I placed my hands on his shoulders, he gently pulled me towards him, keeping his hands on my waist. His fingers gave me a tantalizing feeling as we moved together to dance on the slow song being played. It just felt perfect, as if I was made to fit into his body. I sighed and placed my head on his chest, inhaling his scent that I had grown to love. I could feel the weight of his chin on my head. As I raised my head, I found him looking at me intently. I raised my chin, welcoming him to claim me, and he lowered his face. Just when his lips were a breath away from me, the room was filled with a thunderous round of applause. Apparently, the song had finished and everyone was clapping for Anna & Steve.

We moved away, but my body still danced with the emotions he raised in me. I was happy, and I was content. Alex went ahead to hug Anna. Anna was tired, and he then guided Anna towards her room. As I watched his vanishing back, someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and my blood turned to ice.

This can't be!