III.

The Escape

Bryn

The Mandalorian left her alone. Even with only the metal cuffs keeping her bound, he didn't believe she couldn't do anything to escape. He didn't see her as a threat. 

Her plan worked. Not that it was much of a plan, she hadn't meant for it to happen but she could see him studying her, watching her. She made sure not to make any movement or even a thought of escape with his gaze on her. And in return, he left her alone. She wasn't sure if she should be offended or thankful. 

Either way, she fumbled with the cuffs, wincing as they bruised her wrists. Mando had the key but when they nearly crash landed, things had tumbled around, landing her a very small, very sharp, spare nail. 

Bryn slipped the nail into the lock, dropping her head to bite the head. She moved the nail around with her mouth until she heard a satisfying 'click'. She bit back a smile and slipped of the cuffs. She had far more experience with escaping than the mandalorian thought. 

She scrambled up, trying her best not to make any noise. She glanced down at the ship's hatch. There was no way she could open it and escape without the Mandalorian noticing. She had to get out another way. 

She weaved through the ship, studying the interior. A sudden glint of sunlight caught her attention. Above her was a metal ceiling with an outline of a circle and a thin stream of light beaming through. 

Her lips twitched at her finding. It was an escape hatch. 

Bryn stacked boxes together, creating enough height to reach the top. She wrestled with the hatch and cursed when it wouldn't budge. She jumped back down to the ground and made her way back to the cockpit, dropping to the ground when she spotted Mando through the glass, only a couple feet awake, bargaining with a local man.

She stumbled towards the control panel. Though she had flown before, she usually flew simple ships and they were never gunships. 

On the control panel, there were hundreds of buttons and levers. One of them had to open the hatch but she couldn't randomly press all of them, no matter how much fun it sounded. Bryn studied the panel for a moment, remember the button Mando had pressed to open the large hatch and she noticed a smaller button beside it.

Bryn chewed her lip, hovering her hand over the button, imagining the worst which could happen. It could be a self destruct button, she wouldn't put it past the Mandalorian to have one of those. But, she didn't have much to lose either way. 

Before she could back out of it, she slammed her hand down on the button and shut her eyes, waiting to explode. After a moment of silence she peeled her eyes open. Nothing happened. 

She pulled away, heading back towards the exit hatch, only to find it completely open, sunlight streaming through. Bryn gave a sigh of relief and jumped, gripping onto the sides so she could haul herself up. 

As soon as she was out, she instantly flattened herself against the top of the Razor Crest, spotting the top of Mando's helmet in the distance. Ever so slowly she shimmied off the roof, gripping onto the layers of metal as she carefully slid off. She held herself steady, clawing at the edge of the ship as she hung above the lush, sparkly grass. 

Her arms shook from her weight and she barely made it a step downward before her fingers slipped and she crashed onto the ground. She tried to muffle the noise but a flock of birds behind her screeched and exploded through the treetops, creating a whirlwind of feathers.