V.

The Child

Bryn

Bryn slipped in and out of consciousness. Her brain whirled and her thoughts mushed together. She tried to feel for her surroundings and was met with steady arms around her. She couldn't help but snuggle deeper into the arms, sighing as they held her tighter with comfort. 

She knew it was ridiculous to feel any comfort from this man, after all he was only holding her like this because of the price on her head. It had been the only reason he had saved her in the first place. Yet, she didn't think about it and tucked her head against his metal chest, drifting off to sleep before she could feel the fluttering fingers caress her hair. The mandalorian abruptly stopped, as if ashamed by his actions and his arm dropped back to his side.

The next time she woke she was no longer in the Mandalorian's arms. Now she law in a small cart, rested against heavy sacks with a rough blanket tucked around her. Her vision blurred in the dark and she was surprised when she found herself completely free, no bindings in sight. Her wrists were raw and her neck ached from the uncomfortable position. But the small freedom gave her a sense of comfort.

Bryn lifted her head and scanned her surroundings. She was outside next to a house, a small cottage with a broken Razor Crest beside it. She craned her neck to look, watching sparks fly from the inside of the ship and she spotted the unfamiliar ugnaught and the Manalorian no doubt fixing it up. It had been torn to bits by the creatures, looking naked and vulnerable.

She settled back against the cart, not yet wanting to get up as she stared up at the stars. A smile reached her face. How she would give anything to dance among the stars, to see every planet, every solar system. A heaviness settled into her heart. 

Such a foolish dream. 

Bryn settled onto her side, snuggling against the blanket when she noticed the small egg shaped metal cradle beside her. 

Slowly, she peered over it and glanced down at the metal, feeling her fingers twitch with curiosity. Bryn winced as she moved, her body pulsing with bruises but she ignored them and reached towards the cradle.

Her breath caught at her throat. Inside lay a small green creature, so tiny she might've mistaken it for a plushy if she didn't see it's chest move up and down as it slept. 

Bryn couldn't help the smile which reached her lips as she gently touched the child, tracing it's elongated ears which felt as soft as silk. The creature's ear twitched at her touch and she pulled back to keep from waking it, but before she could, it's small, three fingered hand grabbed hers. It's grip was soft and Bryn stayed still as it's black eyes blinked open sleepily. 

The child stared at her before slowly using her finger to pull itself into a standing a position. It stumbled and yawned, a small coo escaping it's mouth. Bryn giggled, her heart soaring at the sight of the adorable creature. 

The child gripped her wrist and pulled her closer, waddling to her as it suddenly began to climb her arm. Bryn pursed her lips to hide a smile and stayed still as the creature climbed onto her chest, pushing her back. 

Bryn complied and watched as the child settled into her side, curling up next to her, it's grip still on her as it shut its eyes and drifted back into sleep. 

She didn't dare more, not wanting to wake the little thing and settled her head back, watching the sky once again. She had never seen many children, not even in her home planet. Back on the Moons of Lego angel children were taken from their parents the moment they were born and sent off to a sort of school to learn the ways of the angels. It was a strict place but it was how they maintained order in their society. An order Bryn had always hated.