Prologue

Astril

Magic has always been a part of our world with humans and supernaturals living in harmony. Vampires took their place at the top, making sure to create a democracy that kept everyone equal and in line. From there, it went to the mages who manipulated magic for beneficial purposes to care for society. Werewolves were the sports stars and business tycoons, keeping their packs strong and powerful. Humans mixed in with all of them, some daring to run with vampires or the wolves while others stayed where they were put. Then there's my people, the elves. Also called pixies, fairies, or nowadays, just dirty hippies. We stayed away from the societal advances and try to stay true to our natural roots, living in communes and protecting the ancient ways of true, natural magic. The only time anyone else shared our ideals or even acknowledged us as equals was back in the 70's when the free love movement counteracted the current war. 

Now, we just try to live in peace while the rest of the world looks down upon us. Few have left the safety of our community to be a part of the real world. I have been one of the brave ones to leave. While I firmly believe in our ideals, I have enjoyed being sucked into the society on everyone else. It's my dream to attend Wisteria University, the top supernatural college in the country, and study holistic medicine before setting out to help the world, spreading my own bit of 'flower power". 

High school wasn't too bad as there were several others like me but at Wisteria? Pixies are hard to come by. The oldest vampire families own and run the college while werewolf alphas rule the halls. Sure, there will be mages, but they tend to stick together or by themselves and even the humans there are better accepted than my kind. 

It's just one stop on my journey to learning about this crazy world. I don't have any expectations. 

There are fine lines between the different species that keep us in our places. Nobody is going to care about a lone elf. If they do, I have my magic to protect me.