Chapter 12 - It Hits The Fan

I don't own Naruto and I never have, probably never will. Can never tell for sure though.

Nightfall!

Chapter 12: It Hits the Fan!

Naruto and Akimi arrived with the small group that was progressing to the finals as they stood in front of the Hokage.

"Congratulations all of you on making it to the finals. They will be held in one month's time to give you all, time to prepare. Please step forward one at a time and draw a number" the Hokage said as Anko walked forward with a box that rattled with what sounded like ping pong balls.

Kiba who was highly eager to get his number rushed to the front of the cue. "Five!" he called out raising the small ball over his head.

Up on the screen a table that looked like it was designed for a knock out tournament appeared and on the fifth line down the name of Kiba Inuzuka appeared.

Up next was Neji who drew the number one and Haku who pulled number three. "Looks like we're up next," Naruto said helping Akimi approach the snake mistress who had a strange look of envy for the young kunoichi who was supported by Naruto.

"Ladies first" Naruto said offering the box to the exhausted kunoichi. Who drew the number two, making the first match of the finals Neji Hyuuga, versus Akimi Hayaku. "Alright here's hoping for an early fight" Naruto said as he put his hand into the box and felt around for a ball that he hoped had a number in the early fights.

"Number 10!" Naruto said in disappointment as he realized that he would be fighting last.

Temari went next and drew the number eight. Followed by Gaara who's eyes lit up with excitement when the he got a nine. Shikamaru drew a seven and Shino a six which left Sasuke with number four.

"There we have it. The fights for the first round of the finals will be as follows. "Neji Hyuuga Vs Akimi Hayaku, Haku Momoichi Vs Sasuke Uchiha, Kiba Inuzuka Vs Shino Aburame, Shikamaru Nara Vs Temari Subaku, and the final match of the first round Gaara Subaku Vs Naruto Uzumaki" Hayate said.

Naruto and Gaara looked at each other both seemed confident but Gaara seemed to be thrilled with the pairing, he had a murderous look in his eye and a very demonic looking smile to add to the unnerving appearance of the short red haired jinchuuriki.

"Heh knew you guys would all make it through" Jiraiya said once they made their way back out to the village via a tunnel that ran underneath the forest of death.

Naruto who was still supporting his dark haired teammate, who was struggling to keep her eyes open from chakra exhaustion rolled his eyes at this. "Well I'm glad you had faith in us Jiraiya sensei, I mean we have all had experience in fighting against jounin so a couple of genin shouldn't have been that hard" Naruto said.

"You say that but look at what happened to her" Jiraiya said pointing to Akimi who was dragging her feet as she walked.

"Well, she just got a very motivated opponent. But I think I should get her back to the hotel" Naruto said, and without even asking he readjusted Akimi so he was carrying her bridal style to allow him to move at faster speeds.

Akimi was too tired to argue or fight back at being held that way and just decided to cling on and hope Naruto as he jumped from building to building over rooftops. "You drop me and you're dead! Got it" she said seriously. It was a rather uneasy experience for Akimi to be completely helpless while someone else carried her and that feeling of not having any power forced her to cling onto Naruto with all of her remaining strength every time he took another large jump.