Chapter 23 - Locating The Water Prison

I don't own Naruto and I never have, probably never will. Can never tell for sure though.

Nightfall!

Chapter 23: Locating The Water Prison

The rolling hills and sparse tree cover of the Land of Water were almost completely obscured by a thick mist that rolled in, it was almost impossible to see your hand in front of your face, the figures of two ninja walking side by side wrapped in white cloaks. Or the bodies of the ninja who had just encountered them that lay lifeless on the ground.

"Well, did they know anything?" Itachi said passively.

"No. there is still no sign of where Yagura's secret prison or Choijo are, I have to admit the Mizukage sure has kept it well hidden" Naruto sighed.

"We could always go after some of the other targets first" Naruto suggested.

"No, Choijo has to be first, freeing the prisoners there will be a big boost to the resistance. Hit them where it hurts most first, we don't want Yagura catching on that we are taking out his generals, and moving prisoners to various locations" Itachi replied.

"Fine where should we search next?" Naruto asked.

"A few months ago there was a battle in a town about ten miles north of here, it was just before Zabuza and I joined the war. Several prisoners were taken, it might be a good place to look for information regarding Choijo" Itachi said.

"If you say so, it's your call sensei" Naruto replied.

They walked off and slowly the mist cleared to reveal a landscape covered in corpses of fallen Kiri loyalists. Every last one of them seemed to have no cause of death. They were all trapped in one of Itachi's genjutsu before Naruto removed their souls to find information.

(Resistance Head Quarters)

Mei sat over a three dimensional map of the Land of Water with Jiraiya both looking down at the map to plan the next move of the resistance. Since the arrival of the three weeks ago Yoinokuchi the resistance hadn't lost a major battle.

"There is a rumor that our spy's picked up. Of a division of Kiri loyalists all being wiped out by a strange jutsu. All that Yagura's men have been able to determine is that they were all caught in a harmless genjutsu before they died" Mei said not taking her eyes from the large map.

"That would be Itachi and Naruto. It seems they are getting impatient in their search for Choijo. I wouldn't be surprised if a few more of these turn up" Jiraiya said.

"Do you think that there is any risk that Yagura will find them? I mean they have been off the radar for weeks now. If we don't know where they are, we wont be able to help them should they need it" Mei said.

"Well it is a risk, especially if they are attacking large groups of Yagura's forces, but I see no real threat. Like you say, they are completely off the grid. We can't find them and we know what we are looking for, so what chance does Yagura have" Jiraiya replied.

"You are right, now tell me. What should our next move be? With our recent victories Yagura will move to strengthen his defenses before looking to strike back at us" Mei said.

"Well Division three with Zabuza and Fuu, recently captured the sea port town we arrived in. I would let them rest for a few more days. Gaara and Haku along with division two seem to be the best choice for Yagura to attack as they represent the official front line. Moving to strengthen them would be a wise choice. So that just leaves Division one, with Akaru and Akimi. They have been inactive the longest and would be the best choice to move to attack another target" Jiraiya surmised.