Chapter 30 - Godaime Mizukage

I don't own Naruto and I never have, probably never will. Can never tell for sure though.

Nightfall!

Chapter 30: Godaime Mizukage

The Land of Water and the village hidden in the mist were on edge. Ever since news spread of the death of the Mizukage, Yagura at the hands of the leader of the resistance Mei Terumi much of the population were waiting with baited breath for the resistance to claim Kirigakure and end the conflict that had scarred the landscape of the Water nation for years.

It had been a war that had left the country isolated and weakened. And the majority of people were just glad that it was about to come to an end, they even welcomed the outcome. Yagura's hold on the peoples beliefs towards those with Kekkei Genkai had been faltering. The depiction's of them as heartless killers that were not to be considered human demolished by the countless acts of kindness and forgiveness that several members of the Resistance with bloodlines had shown to liberated villages and captured prisoners alike.

Kiri was having a very uncharacteristically sunny day. The mist that so often enveloped the village had been pressed back and the sun shone down on the village for the first time in what felt like years to it's inhabitants adding to the feeling of optimism that spread through the village when word of a large group of ninja containing both Mei Terumi and the unknown Hero of the Mist that they had heard so much about.

Outside the village the mist still circulated but it seemed to thin out as Naruto and the rest of the group walked down a large stone road. The group comprised of about fifty ninja and at the front Mei walked with Ao and Jiraiya just behind. Naruto and the rest of the Yoinokuchi were placed at the front of the main pack as a symbol of strength.

After a few hours of walking the mist cleared and the group from the resistance stood before the gates of Kiri, several ninja stood there weapons drawn as if ready for a battle.

"You intend to fight?" Mei asked with her trademark smile which seemed to be even more threatening than a scowl. "I recommend you think carefully before drawing your weapons and challenging us" she added.

The guards all began to sweat and one by one they began to lay their weapons on the ground at their feet and bow in submission. "Forgive us Mei-sama, we had no intention of blocking your path" they said.

"Good then open the gates and allow entry to my men and I" Mei ordered.

"Y-yes at once" one of the guards stammered and ran off to open the gates of Kiri.

Just behind Mei and the two she had picked as her personal guard Naruto was standing next to Itachi. Both had satisfied smiles on their faces. "It feels good to be able to enter a village without having to sneak in or trick the guards" Naruto said.

"I was just thinking the exact same thing Naruto-kun. It seems that this war is truly over now" Itachi replied.

Naruto smiled as they walked past the gate and into the village. Although he felt kind of awkward as civilians all came running out to see the group of ninja who brought down Yagura and the woman who would almost certainly become the next Mizukage.

It was comforting to the group that a vast majority of the villagers that had come to watch the precession were smiling. Some were even openly clapping and cheering about the result of the war.

They continued to walk at a slow pace through the village until they came to a large three level building with large banners that had the Kanji for 'Water' on them. At the base of the tower they were greeted by two older people who appeared to be the village elders and several ninja that Naruto guessed were their bodyguards.