Chapter 70 - Battle of Blood and Beliefs

I don't own Naruto and I never have, probably never will. Can never tell for sure though.

Nightfall!

Chapter 70: Battle of Blood and Beliefs

Naruto and Itachi both stood with enemies on either side. For Naruto Pein's six paths were separated by those recently revived on one side and Deva and Animal path on the other. Much to the blonds dismay Naraka path had once more gone into hiding giving the elder Rinnegan wielder the advantage.

Itachi on the other hand was standing with Hiruko and Konan each of the three shinobi had no emotion at all showing on their faces.

Konan was the first to move a wave of paper shot forward quickly and wrapped around Itachi who didn't even blink as Hiruko sent a sharp blade like bandage directly through his body.

Itachi disappeared in a puff of smoke leaving only crows that flew over to a nearby tree and Itachi reappeared. "Origami ninjutsu, interesting, I was once told about a kunoichi who used similar ninjutsu." Itachi complemented offhandedly.

"A clone, but when?" Konan said in surprise.

"But is that a clone as well? And if it is, where is the real one!" Hiruko replied.

"I can see only one way to find out," Konan said and a hail of paper shuriken and kunai flew at Itachi who raised an eyebrow before his eyes morphed to the second stage of his Uzugan and Konan's projectiles disintegrated in a flash of white flames.

Hiruko then attempted to catch Itachi off guard by using swift release to get behind Itachi before sending a dark cloud that was sparking with lightning straight at the Uchiha's back. Unfortunately Itachi was well versed in coping with the excessive speed of swift release wielders and easily avoided the attack by jumping to another tree as the jutsu struck removing several branches without a trace.

"Your techniques are full of holes. Even if your attacks use fire resistant paper, it is still paper none the less and will burn if the flames are strong enough, and Hiruko, you were a second class ninja dropout who thought you could reach the level of the Sannin if you had a Kekkei Genkai. Just having a Kekkei Genkai means nothing if you don't know how to fight properly. Jiraiya-sama has no Kekkei Genkai and you are still no match for him!" Itachi declared sternly.

'He's right, those white flames he used were able to burn my paper shuriken and kunai down to nothing in an instant. Could he have seen through our attacks so easily?' Konan questioned herself.

"You think you intimidate me you fucking kid! Someone just barely out of their teens has no right to lecture anyone. You act tough but really you're nothing special. I know all about you Itachi Uchiha, you massacred your best friend, just to gain the Mangekyo Sharingan. Then killed your entire clan to test the new eyes. You are no better than I am!" Hiruko said uncharacteristically angry at Itachi's assessment of his abilities.

"It appears I hit a nerve, seems even your emotionless facade is second rate" Itachi mused flatly.

Meanwhile Naruto was contemplating his next move. Animal path was still well hidden inside the large Chameleon summons but Naruto guessed that it was somewhere near Deva path for the added safety. On closer inspection Naruto found the large lizard due to the ripples in the waters surface. 'That summoned creature has to go first, as long as it's around I can be attacked from anywhere without seeing the attack coming,' the blond thought readying himself for an attack.

The attack that Naruto was expecting didn't take long to arrive, the three newly revived paths all shot forward together Naruto ducked under the fist of Human path and went to counter with a back hand but was forced to jump back again to avoid Asura paths blade. The moment Naruto landed he received a kick to the back from Preta path that while not overly powerful did send the blond tumbling across the water.