18. LIGHTWEIGHT

Chapter 18: LIGHTWEIGHT

*****************************************

Alex's POV;

************

I almost got roped into playing some drinking games but since I was firm about my no drinking decision we ended up playing pool instead.

Josh's place was pretty cool with all kinds of indoor games and gaming equipment. Kate, Drew, Hal, and I decided to occupy a pool table, Jamie watched us since she had no idea how to play, and occasionally cheered for her boyfriend. It was Kate and I vs Drew and Hal and we alternated after the toss and their team started the game.

Drew took the opening break shot, it was a good shot however the 8th ball wasn't pocketed. The game went on for a while, each of us had cues in hand as we stood around the table watching while our partners and opponents make or break the shot.

Drew juggled three jumped balls in his hands when it wasn't his turn to spot, Hal looked very serious about the game while Kate and I were winning. All those countless hours of pool with my dad wasn't an absolute waste. It was an open table when my turn came around, I chalked up my cue and after concentrating for a few seconds struck the cue ball pocketing another one. The end was rather anticlimactic when Drew managed to knock the 8th ball off the table and we all watched in horror as the game came to an abrupt end.

We all dispersed after that and I made my way back to Ben and his delicious pina coladas.

The crowd had doubled in a matter of minutes and I could find some more familiar faces of Nick and Carrie. Nick smiled at me from across the room and continued to talk to a bunch of guys, who all held beer bottles in hand.

"So... who won?" Ben asked as he placed my drink in front of me without me asking.

"Who do you think?" I said flatly and he laughed.

"I'm not even going to ask why you look so thrilled about it, you are something else..." His eyes sparkled under the dull lights as what he said was half sarcastic and half true.

I smiled, "why, thank you Ben, your vague compliment made my evening." I told him as I sipped my drink.

"We aim to please." He said simply but for some reason it cracked me up.

We continued this sarcastic and playful back and forth until someone in the crowd caught my attention. He wore a simple white shirt and casual jeans looking so far from his usual self that I almost didn't recognise him.

It didn't take long for his eyes to meet mine and then he was walking towards me with long, sure strides. Jensen stopped next to me at the bar counter and asked for an orange juice.

What the-?

Ben shot him a weird look but did as was told. Jensen then turned to look at me. "So you're good at pool too, anything else I should be aware of?" he sounded amused. He watched that stupid game?

I ignored his words and said "I didn't know you were planning to join the party." His arm brushed against mine, making goosebumps appear on my skin.

"Well, neither did I, until I got in my car and drove straight here." He said casually, I raised an eyebrow like I didn't believe he could be that spontaneous and it showed. "Josh insisted, he said I'd be missing out if I didn't come."

I smirked, "I thought you were the JOMO type." He chuckled at that and his whole face transformed, I think I stared at him enthralled. Gah!!! Why was he so darn handsome?!

"Usually, but today's a little different" He stared at me unblinking, "had to make an exception." That's all he said, providing no more explanation, but his eyes were a total different story.